The purpose of this job is to direct and manage all aspects of the Department of Community Development of Carroll County. Duties include, but are not limited to: directing the day-to-day operations of the department; administering all phases of a comprehensive community development program, including development of land use planning policies and regulations, issuance of development permits and various licensing, building inspection and code enforcement; preparing budgets; providing expert professional assistance in areas of responsibilities; and performing other duties as assigned by the Commission Chairperson.
This position is not a classified merit position and the position shall be at-will. The Director shall not have any property interest in the position. By signing the job description, the employee agrees and understands that this position is not covered by Civil Service and any benefits provided therein. This position will be eligible for standard benefits such as health / life insurance, annual / sick leave, participation in the County’s retirement program, etc. afforded to County merit employees as outlined in the County’s personnel policies.
The following duties are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned. In order to qualify, applicants should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- Supervise, direct, and evaluate assigned staff, handling employee concerns and problems, assigning work, counseling, and recommending disciplinary and other personnel actions.
- Encourage the training and professional development of department staff, interpret County policies and procedures to employees, and ensure positive morale and high productivity of department staff.
- Direct the day-to-day operations of the Community Development Department, focusing on both short-term and long-term goals.
- Oversee the development of all plans and ordinances administered and enforced by the Department of Community Development, including the County’s Comprehensive Plan and development codes.
- Provide policy recommendations, technical assistance, and other information to the Carroll County Board of Commissioners, as well as preparing special reports as needed.
- Conduct special research and projects on an as-needed basis, develop and implement programs, and direct the administration of grants.
- Plan, organize, assign, direct, review, and evaluate planning, building, code enforcement, environmental review, and related activities.
- Interpret the County Code of Ordinances as it relates to Community Development and directs staff as to its application and enforcement.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory and legislative developments relating to Community Development in order to ensure compliance.
- Manage court cases in regard to zoning and code violations in court system.
- Plan and direct community and governmental meetings in regard to zoning variations and modifications, handling complex community inquiries and concerns.
- Represent County in public meetings and in meetings with other government officials, both during regular business hours and during evening meetings.
- Oversee various licensing requirements including immigration requirements associated therewith.
- Respond to questions, complaints and requests for information by telephone, in person or by mail from citizens, employees, department heads, etc.
- Instruct and counsel staff in coordinating activities, planning work of others and day-to-day operations.
- Respond and correct situations that arise in regard to employee problems.
- Perform other duties as required.
Master’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, Engineering, Management, or related degree required, with a minimum of five years of experience acting in a supervisory role, preferably within a local government – or – any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Applicants must pass a physical, drug screen, and criminal background check prior to employment.
Salary & Benefits
Commensurate with Experience. Applicants must pass a physical, drug screen, and criminal background check prior to employment.
How to Apply
Applications are available on the Carroll County website.
Send resume, three (3) references, and completed application to:
Carroll County Board of Commissioners – Human Resources Department
PO Box 338
Carrollton, Georgia 30112
Carroll County is an Equal Opportunity Employer