The GPA Board with an ad hoc committee lead by Jim Summerbell has worked this year to revise the Chapter Bylaws for the membership’s review prior to the next General Membership Meeting. The GPA Board reviewed the committee’s proposal at their annual summer retreat July 13. A final proposed redlined draft is available on the GPA website. The Chapter membership will be asked to vote on these proposed revisions at the General Membership Meeting scheduled for Thursday, September 6 at the Fall Conference on Jekyll Island. The last revision and adoption to the GPA Bylaws occurred October 2, 2014.
The revisions were influenced by the APA Chapter Performance Criteria and from an effort to improve internal operating procedures within the Chapter, as well as align the Bylaws with current practice.
Highlights of the revisions are:
- Clarification of the location of the Corporate Seal, use of the Chapter Logo and Chapter’s principal address;
- Addition of a representative from Emerging Planners Group to the Board;
- Change from one voting Student Representative Board member rotating between three graduate planning programs in the state to one non-voting representative from each of the graduate planning programs in the state that are members of the Association of the Collegiate Schools of Planning;
- Removal of the nomination by petition instead of the APA election procedures;
- Terms were updated to January 1st for new Board members after elections and students as July 1st for ease of transition;
- Addition of Treasurer’s responsibility to draft annual budgets and maintain compliance with financial procedures and policies;
- Addition of flexibility with the election process due to APA election timeline not always aligning with the Fall Conference;
- Addition of Executive Committee’s management of external contracted staff;
- Change the Audit Committee to Finance Committee chaired by the Treasurer and responsible for oversight of financial procedures and policies; and,
- Create an official Policy & Advocacy Committee which is currently an informal Legislative Committee.
Please review the proposed Bylaw revisions, available here, before the Fall Conference. If you have questions, please contact Jim Summerbell, Chapter President at 404.434.9047, or Laura Beall, Chapter Secretary at 404-579-5204.
tagged: GPA News