Oconee County Board of Commissioners
The purpose of this classification is complex administrative and supervisory work responsible for directing the daily operations of the Planning Department and Code Enforcement to administer and maintain the county’s zoning, subdivision, building codes, building permitting, building inspections, business licensing, and other building and development related ordinances. This position reports to the County Administrator.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals.
- Directs submittal, acceptance, and technical review of Planning Commission agenda items such as rezones, special use, variances and preliminary plats.
- Directs submittal, acceptance, and technical review of Development Review Committee agenda items such as subdivision construction plans and commercial site development plans, Revised Final plats.
- Directs submittal, acceptance, technical review and processes of Special Tax Districts.
- Directs submittal and acceptance of business licenses, building permits, building plan review, special event permits, solid waste hauling licenses and driveway permits.
- Drafts new development-related ordinances and prepares amendments for existing ordinances; prepares and publishes legal advertisements.
- Presents proposed ordinances at public hearings and County commission meetings.
- Maintains records of official actions taken by Planning Commission and Board of Commissioners.
- Coordinates the process of codification of County ordinances.
- Prepares the department’s annual budget; monitors expenditures against approved budget; reviews and approves time sheets; processes purchase orders; prepares department activity reports.
- Reviews county planning and zoning ordinances, comprehensive plan, transportation plans, zoning maps, subdivision regulations, tax digest, tax maps, plat and deed books, technical manuals, building code books and other documents and makes recommendations for updates and improvements.
- Coordinates County’s procedures for all Federal, State, and Regional compliance to various regulations.
- Serves as primary contact with federal, state and other local governments and agencies for related building, development and code related items.
Attends planning conferences, seminars, and training sessions to maintain knowledge of planning laws and building codes, policies, and practices in local government.
- Adheres and ensures adherence to established safety procedures and county Safety Policies and Procedures; oversees utilization of safety equipment and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals.
- Supervises and coordinate the county’s house numbers process for the E-911 system.
- Serves as the county’s representative on the Madison, Athens-Clarke Oconee Regional Transportation Systems’ Technical Coordinating Committee.
- Interprets county codes and regulations for employees, the public and the elected officials.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration, civil engineering or closely related field; supplemented by six (6) to nine (9) years previous experience and/or training that includes planning and public administration; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Salary & Benefits
$67,840 – $97,828