City of Atlanta
The purpose of the Landscape Architect Senior position in the Department of Planning and Community Development is to enforce the City’s tree protection ordinance. The Landscape Architect Senior assists citizens with tree preservation on construction sites and with obtaining tree removal permits as necessary. The position is also responsible for reviewing and approving tree preservation protection plans; working with individual builders, homeowners, and other customers to assist in ensuring compliance with the City’s tree protection ordinance. Duties are performed with considerable initiative and independent judgment under the direction of the division manager. The incumbent must ensure that best in class customer service is provided to both internal and external customers and also embrace, support, and promote the City’s core values, beliefs, and culture.
- Works under very general supervision. May work independently or with other skilled or semi-skilled workers with responsibility for completion of assigned tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Reviews construction drawings and specifications for property improvements including but not limited to plans for construction, demolition, landscaping, grading, and general repair to evaluate impact to trees on site and on surrounding properties.
- Documents plan review process, site inspections, and tree inspections in computer database.
- May participate in committees and work groups for Division-related or Departmental projects.
- May attend Municipal Court with City Solicitor when the tree ordinances have been violated; functions as an expert witness.
- Communicates with customers regarding status of plan review, any necessary plan revisions, and explains requirements for compliance with City ordinances.
- Communicates with Arborist Division and other City staff to coordinate timely customer service, ensuring prompt public posting of properties, individual tree and site evaluation, and timely issuance of permits.
- Communicates by letter, telephone, and email with customers, external and internal stakeholders regarding tree inspections, tree care, tree permits, and other tree-related issues.
- Addresses schools and civic groups; Responds to questions regarding trees in general and the rights and responsibilities of citizens.
- May visit site to verify site conditions are accurately represented on tree protection plans submitted to City and to post public notice of tree removal on construction sites.
- May conduct site visits to ensure compliance with tree protection ordinance on active construction sites.
- May conduct site visits to evaluate tree health and issue permits for removal of dead, dying, and hazardous trees.
- Applies organizational policies. Follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks. Must be able to process information on hand and decide on next steps to complete tasks and/or resolve issues. Determines when to escalate issues to upper/senior management
- Provides guidance and training as required to lower level, interns, temporary employees, etc. May exercise supervisory duties in absence of supervisor.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Knowledge of the City’s overall permitting operations, codes, services and procedures.
- General knowledge of all applicable laws, ordinances, policies, standards and regulations pertaining to tree-related issues and other responsibilities in serving as City Arborist
- General knowledge of arboriculture, practices, policies and procedures as necessary in the completion of daily responsibilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of best in class customer service.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Use independent judgment and make sound decisions in accordance with established procedures and policies. Use of discretion in the handing of emergency situations.
- Perform a variety of difficult and complex permit related tasks with minimal supervision.
- Work effectively and efficiently under stress and meet deadlines as required.
- Knowledgeable and proficient with computers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, other officials, representatives of other government agencies, developers, and the general public.
- Ability to provide information and to answer questions pertaining to the City’s building permit procedures in a tactful and courteous manner to the general public.
- Ability to gather relevant information to solve practical problems.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret, development plans, architectural plans, reports and related materials.
- Ability to develop and administer operations, staff plans and objectives for the expedience and effectiveness of specific duties of the City.
- Ability to assist in developing and implementing long-term goals for the department in order to promote effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ability to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, operations, and equipment needs, etc. as they pertain to departmental operations and activities.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with management, employees, and members of the general public and all other groups involved in the activities of the City as they relate to the department.
- Ability to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear and effective manner.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and has technical skills to follow through.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Forestry, or related field and five years of experience as an Arborist or Landscape Architect/Designer required; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must be qualified to take and pass ISA Arborist Certification test. Must possess a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist
- Special knowledge or experience related to tree preservation on construction sites. At least one year of experience reviewing or preparing tree protection plans; at least one year of experience in construction site inspections; and certification and/or experience in tree risk assessment.
Licensures and Certifications
- Position would be expected to have licensure or professional certifications appropriate to the position.
- Valid Georgia Driver’s License.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
- Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
Salary & Benefits
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Visit the job website