City of Atlanta
Responsible for providing administrative and technical support in one of the following areas: Permitting, Plan Review, Inspections, and general operations. The Permit Technician will work within assigned areas, support the office business, and provide customer service to both internal and external customers. Duties are performed with considerable initiative and independent judgment under the direction of the division manager. The incumbent must ensure that best in class customer service is provided to both internal and external customers and also embrace, support, and promote the City’s core values, beliefs, and culture.
- Work under general supervision. However, must be able to work independently with minimal supervision individually or in a team as directed. Reports to Supervisor/Manager, Assistant Director, or Director.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Interviews and provides information to applicants regarding building permit and general requirements of the permit process.
- Reviews plans, permit applications, and other pertinent information at the public counter in order to verify accuracy and completeness and compliance with established codes, ordinances, policies and procedures.
- Routes plans to appropriate agencies for approval.
- Receives and assembles approved plans.
- Coordinate issuance of building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and other related permits.
- Collaborate with customers to schedule inspections.
- Maintains computer files and other manual logs on all building permits and related documents; Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Updates and maintains contractor registration files for current state and local licensing requirements.
- Performs records research in order to document project history compliance; coordinates permit processes with outside agencies to ensure that all permit requirements are being met.
- Use architectural and engineering scale to determine dimensions and calculate areas and percentages as needed.
- Follow standardized procedures, building codes, and written/verbal instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Must be able to process information on hand and decide on next steps to complete tasks and/or resolve issues.
- Determines when to escalate issues to supervisor when required.
- May provide guidance and training as required to lower level, interns, temporary employees, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of overall permitting process to assist customers, including but not limited to Zoning, Plan Review, Arborists, and Inspections; Knowledge of building codes, ordinances, regulations, laws and rules;
- Must be able to navigate internet without assistance and have general knowledge of PC use/navigation.
- Be familiar with construction documents (CD’s) and able to recognize elements within CD’s for further research and interpretation for permitting related activities.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of customer service.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Use independent judgment and make sound decisions in accordance with established procedures and policies.
- Works effectively and efficiently under stress and meet deadlines as required.
- Works collaboratively with team members to resolve customer challenges.
- Ability to understand the organization and operation of the City to assume the assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to read and interpret construction blueprints, plans and specifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, other officials, representatives of other government agencies, developers, and the general public.
- Ability to provide information and to answer questions pertaining to city planning procedures in a tactful and courteous manner to the general public.
- Ability to gather relevant information to solve practical problems.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High School Diploma supplemented by two (2) years responsible administrative experience at a building permit counter; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Associate’s degree or vocational training in construction, building inspections or related fields. International Code Council (ICC) Permit Technician certification preferred.
Licensures and Certifications
- International Code Council (ICC) Permit Technician certification must be obtained within six (6) months of employment.
Salary & Benefits
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Visit the job website