City of Johns Creek
Johns Creek, GA
The Planner III position performs a high level of professional planning and zoning activities for the City of Johns Creek Community Development Department. The Planner III ensures compliance with state planning laws, the City’s Comprehensive Plan, Zoning and sign ordinances, development regulations and other local ordinances; and assists in the review and approval of community development related land development, zoning, use, variance and sign applications and processes. The Planner III creates informative graphics, written and oral reports, and/or presentations and delivers them to diverse audiences. The Planner III reports to the Planning and Zoning Manager and oversees short and long-range planning activities including area studies and master plans. He/she performs a variety of detailed tasks and ongoing assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree in City Planning, Public Administration, or related field from a four-year accredited college or university
- A minimum of five years of professional planning and zoning experience
- OR, any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of modern principles and terms used in general and applied planning, development regulations, land use theory, and comprehensive planning and zoning requirements
- Ability to independently think through assignments comprehensively and creatively
- Ability to effectively use ArcGIS
- Ability to speak, read, and write the English language using impeccable grammar, appropriate choice of words, and always clear, legible, and professional in any format
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and precisely through a combination of verbal, written and graphic means
- Ability to present to a variety of audiences, from small groups of internal technical staff to larger groups of external public and private stakeholders
- Skill in planning study/project management, data analysis and interpretation, multi-agency coordination, and collaboration
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Proficient in standard office equipment, Microsoft Office, and related software applications
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact in a professional and respectful manner with City staff, and the public
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, communication skills, and conflict resolution skills
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Must have at least five years of good driving history
- Master’s degree in City Planning, Public Administration, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of specialized urban design/planning software such as InDesign, Sketch Up, GeoDesign, AutoCAD, and Community Viz
- AICP Certification
Salary & Benefits
Starting pay is expected to fall between $2,228.55 and $2,537.61 per bi-weekly pay.
The City of Johns Creek also offers an attractive benefits package, including health benefits, retirement, and paid leave.
How to Apply
For more information about the role and to submit your qualifications, go to the City’s Current Openings webpage and click on “Planner III” to follow the link to the online posting.
To be considered, you must submit your information online following the link found on the City’s Current Openings webpage. Please note that resumes or any other information delivered by email, mail, or in-person will not be considered by the City in our initial review of your qualifications in fairness to other potential candidates.