Sandy Springs, GA
Description of Job / Position
The position of Planning Technician is an entry-level role. The Planning Technician spends a significant amount of time on routine administrative tasks, works closely with the public on a regular basis to provide customer service on planning issues, and may be asked to perform delegated professional-level (Planner I) duties of limited complexity.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides technical assistance and information to staff and the public pertaining to the administration of specific planning program areas or ordinances
- Reviews applications to assure compliance with requirements such as use, parking ratios, height, and other development standards
- Performs routine office tasks in designated program areas, including preparation of zoning certification letters, reviews of business licenses and other applications for zoning compliance, data entry for and the issuance of temporary sign permits, answering telephone calls and emails
- May perform occasional site inspections for zoning compliance
- Researches and compiles information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources
- Prepares public notices or property owner verifications
- Prepares maps, charts, and tables of limited complexity
- Attends public meetings, assisting other planning staff as appropriate.
- Knowledge of planning principles and practices, including pertinent specialties
- Knowledge of principles and practices of research and data collection
- Knowledge of effective writing techniques
- Statistical, algebraic or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, and GIS.
The Planning Technician level generally requires, at a minimum:
- the completion of an associate’s degree in urban planning, architecture, construction management, social sciences or related field
- Two years of experience in plans review, zoning administration and comprehensive planning
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred and may substitute for two years of experience.
Salary & Benefits
- The person in this position will work 40 hours per week
- Competitive pay
- Full benefits package, which includes Medical/Dental, PTO, paid holidays and other optional benefits.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume. No phone calls please.