The Collaborative/City of Sandy Springs
Sandy Springs, GA
Planner / Transportation Planner the Junior / Mid-Level Class position in the Planner series classification. The employee in this class performs a variety of professional and technical planning activities including executing ongoing updates and amendments to the City’s Comprehensive Plan as required by state regulations; coordinates rezoning and variance cases, provides revisions to the Development Code, Technical Manual and other applicable Ordinances; reviews site plans and permit applications; provides technical assistance to elected and appointed Commissions, Boards, the public and other diverse audiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides staff support to Mayor and City Council, Planning Commission and Board of Appeals.
- Responsible for processing administrative applications such as zoning certification requests, sign permits, etc.
- Provides support to other divisions and departments by providing zoning reviews and interpretations with the oversight of the Manager.
- Assists with regular updates to the City’s Comprehensive Plan, including the monitoring and reporting on the accomplishment of the Short-term Work Program;
- Coordinates updates to other plans related to the Comprehensive Plan, including the Capital Improvements Plan, Solid Waste Management Plan and other plans required by Comprehensive Plan rule 110-12-1;
- Provides regular amendments and updates to the City’s Development Code, Technical Manual, Noise, Tree Preservation and other ordinances and regulations;
- Ensures and promotes consistency and coordination between the City’s planning activities and other municipal, county, regional, state and federal plans;
- Develops and presents information, research and reports to the City’s elected officials, administration, commissions, boards and the general public;
- Manages federal community development, economic development, housing and/or other grant-funded programs as required. Employee must have established program management, technical and organizational skills necessary to ensure programs are administered effectively and in compliance with federal state and local requirements.
- Assists with review of site plans and traffic impact studies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in City/Regional Planning with an emphasis on transportation, Public Administration or an equivalent field of undergraduate study.
- Three (3) years public or private sector planning experience.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures related to City and Regional planning and zoning administration, including applicable laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of comprehensive plans, current planning, environmental planning, community planning and the development process;
- Experience with researching planning issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting effective staff reports.
- Knowledge and experiences with Microsoft Office Suite and other computer applications related to the work, including basic GIS concepts and applications.
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain complex laws, codes, regulations and ordinances.
- Masters degree in City/Regional Planning, with an emphasis on transportation, Public Administration or an equivalent field of graduate study.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification.
- Knowledge of techniques for effectively representing the City with elected officials; governmental agencies; community and neighborhood groups; business, professional and regulatory bodies; and with property owners, developers, contractors and the general public.
- Knowledge and experience with project management.
- Ability to complete complex and advanced research and planning activities in an independent and effective manner.
- Ability to manage consulting contracts, specialized assignments and projects.
Salary & Benefits
Competitive Salary and Benefits
How to Apply
Cover letters and résumés should be submitted for consideration via email to email@example.com