City of Dahlonega
Are you a talented planning professional with experience in historic communities, or know someone who is? Does the idea of being an integral part of a dynamic team in an award-winning university community in the mountains of the southeast appeal? If so, and customer service in the planning profession is a passion of yours, applying as the Planning & Zoning Administrator of the City of Dahlonega, Georgia might be an effective use of your time. The incumbent is retiring after more than 18 years in the position, so this is a unique opportunity. One of less than one hundred Great American Main Street communities nationwide, Dahlonega is now looking for motivated, exceptional talent to serve this vital role and take us even further.
The City of Dahlonega is one of Georgia’s most historic and visited cities. An hour north of Atlanta our rural but suburbanizing mountain setting is home to the University of North Georgia, which is one of only six senior military colleges in the country. In 2016 Downtown Dahlonega was recognized by the National Main Street Center as a Great American Main Street. The downtown district is on the National Register of Historic Places and the City has additional historic properties by virtue of zoning-based design guidelines. Our small full-service county seat is a Georgia Exceptional Main Street community, National Main Street City, a Preserve America Community, a National Tree City and a designated Appalachian Trail Community. For further information, please visit www.dahlonega-ga.gov, www.dahlonegadda.org, www.northgeorgiafilm.org, www.dahlonega.org or www.ung.edu for starters. Come visit, if you like; even if you don’t apply, you’ll be glad you did.
The ideal candidate will be or have:
- A Bachelor’s or higher degree in city, urban or regional planning, public administration or related field
- A credentialed planner (AICP), landscape architect (RLA), or other professional
- Ten years or more of demonstrated success in progressively responsible experience in municipal or county-level planning and zoning, building inspection and code enforcement
- Experienced with conventional zoning, historic preservation and new construction design guidelines, shared parking methods, zoning overlay districts, form based zoning, etc.
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of department heads, serving an elected body to serve the public while interacting with governmental agencies, Chambers of Commerce, Tourism Boards, Historic Preservation Commissions, businesses, economic development interests, the press, public, etc.
- Experience with governmental grant writing and/or administration
- Experience developing and managing a budget, while leading others and coordinating with other City departments
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evening meetings three times a month (Historic Preservation Commission, Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals/City Council)
- Success as a self-starting, persistent problem-solving team player
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with media and public relations
Salary & Benefits
Comprehensive benefits package with salary depending on qualifications and experience
How to Apply
Submit resume and cover letter with salary history to the attention of the City Clerk, Kimberly Smith, 465 Riley Road, Dahlonega, GA 30533. Applications are available at City Hall Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and on the City website. Resumes and applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position advertises until June 14, 2017 and is open until filled. If interested, act soon!