Georgia Department of Transportation
Description of Job / Position
Under supervision, provides entry level professional support for the Georgia Department of Transportation’s Office of Planning in transportation planning activities including multi-modal short and long range transportation plans and geographic planning analysis.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Under close supervision, performs duties at a beginning working level in the planning and analysis of the statewide transportation system existing and future needs.
Duties may include:
- Responsible for understanding and communicating the transportation conditions and needs within assigned area and making recommendations for improvements
- Analyzing, interpreting, and/or applying federal and state regulations, laws and policies
- Writing technical documents and executive briefings
- Managing consultant transportation planning contracts
- Data collection and analysis for programmed transportation projects including collecting existing traffic and crash data
- Other transportation-planning related job duties as assigned.
NOTE: This position may require statewide travel with occasional overnight stays.
AGENCY SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the following fields: transportation planning, rural/ urban planning, regional planning, urban studies, policy studies, geography, statistics, economics, or closely related field
- OR a Bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited college or university in Civil Engineering with course work experience (or a minor) in any of the aforementioned planning fields. (If selected for the position, you will be required to provide an original college transcript.
- Committed to providing quality customer service.
Works well with others to achieve team/organizational goals.
- Possesses strong oral communication skills, expresses ideas and facts to individuals or groups effectively
- Display high standard of ethical conduct and understand the impact of violating these standards on organization, self, and others.
- Ability to gather, interpret, and summarize information for the purpose of writing technical reports/documents; working level proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to effectively apply new knowledge and skills in work to adapt quickly to change.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to effectively manage own priorities setting well-defined and realistic personal goals.
- Ability to apply innovative solutions in solving problems.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve team/organizational goals.
AGENCY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- One or more years of experience in managing or working on highway transportation planning related projects and/or studies.
- Master’s degree in transportation planning, rural/urban planning, regional planning, urban studies, policy studies, geography studies, geography, statistics, economics, or a closely related field.
- Possesses experience analyzing, interpreting, and/or applying federal or state regulations.
- Possesses experience in the planning and analysis of transportation systems.
- Possesses experience and/or knowledge of transportation funding sources, particularly federal and state programs.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate with the team to accomplish goals and deadlines; excellent in internal and external customer service.
- Possess experience with HCS and/or ArcGIS software.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply