Town of Cornelius
Cornelius, North Carolina
Under general direction of the Planning Director, performs advanced professional level planning work; supervises staff and serves as a team leader on important projects or initiatives; assumes responsibility for the department in the Planning Director’s absence; exercises independent judgement in zoning administration, development review, comprehensive planning, transportation, and other planning activities; and performs related work as required.
- Develops and makes presentations to elected and appointed boards and community groups on a variety of planning topics.
- Supervises staff employees by assigning duties, conducting reviews, assisting in hiring and evaluating staff, and providing mentorship.
- Manages, facilitates, and/or coordinates special projects related to land use, growth management, and transportation.
- Facilitates and/or provides oversight on rezoning, text amendment, variance, and site plan review projects.
- Provides staff oversight and support on code enforcement activities.
- Prepares formal written reports, memos, technical papers, and other correspondences.
- Develops solutions to problems of a technical or policy nature using professional research, analysis, and evaluation techniques.
- Manages, facilitates, and/or coordinates preparation of comprehensive plan and similar plans.
- Serves as a staff liaison or resource to Town boards and committees, which may include Planning Board, Transportation Advisory Board, Historic Preservation Committee, Architectural Review Board, and Land Development Code Advisory Board.
- Responds to requests for information from the Town Board and other boards and committees, development professionals, business owners, and citizens.
- Coordinates with various governmental agencies, local civic groups, business leaders, developers, and others regarding planning and community development matters.
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to urban planning and community development.
- Thorough knowledge of North Carolina planning, zoning, and community development laws.
- Familiarity with GIS technology and its applications.
- Ability to prepare and present, in a clear and concise manner, oral and written reports on planning and development activities to internal or external agencies.
- Ability to assign work to supporting staff in a clear and concise manner and ability to analyze and provide constructive feedback on work products.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate department performance in a systemic manner and identify recommendations for improvement (as needed).
- Ability to mentor supervised staff in a manner that is supportive and helps achieve the highest performance and satisfaction from staff.
- Ability to write in a professional manner with thorough knowledge of sentence structure, English language vocabulary, grammar, and spelling.
- Ability to exercise critical analysis to resolve complex planning problems and to present clear and concise recommendations.
- Ability to manage comprehensive planning and related studies using internal staff and/or consultant resources.
- Ability to deal effectively with public and community groups concerned with municipal planning.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Town officials and various diverse groups and agencies.
- Ability to effectively direct and coordinate the work efforts of other personnel involved in planning and zoning programs and projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
- Knowledge of online process systems such as Mecklenburg County’s Acella and Peak agenda setting software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from a college or university with a bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, landscape architecture, public administration, or closely related field;
- master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of experience of an increasingly responsible nature in municipal planning; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Prior supervisory experience is required.
- Prior experience in development review, conditional rezonings, and zoning administration is preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Salary to be determined based on applicant qualifications. The Town of Cornelius has an outstanding benefits program for employees.
How to Apply
Interested planners may find more information about the position and submit a Town of Cornelius employment application.
Please feel free to email Rox Burhans, Planning Director or call 704.892.6031 regarding any questions about the Town of Cornelius or this position.