Associate Urban Designer / Planner
We think BIG . . . The future of our cities is more than just an incremental improvement today – it is a transformational change. Code Studio needs your design and creative problem-solving skills to support our growing practice. We are looking for a talented planner or urban designer with a background in solving complex urban design and planning issues.
As a small private planning firm, Code Studio has a unique, ground-level glimpse into all aspects of the planning business. Our work involves hands-on experience and collaboration on some of the nation’s largest zoning code updates in diverse communities across the country.
This is a full-time entry or mid-level position. Responsibilities and tasks for this role may include:
- Urban design and precedent research
- Site analysis and existing conditions documentation
- Analysis and concept diagrams
- Site plans and area mapping
- Graphics production, including illustrative plans, sections, maps, and more
- Zoning and form-based code drafting and interpretation
- Preparation of presentations
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication, and consultant coordination
- GIS mapping and analysis
We are currently looking for someone located in the Atlanta area. This position is hybrid – you would primarily be able to work-from-home, but occasional in-person work sessions in Atlanta would be needed.
We would be open to candidates willing to join our Austin, TX office as well.
We are interested in hiring someone with a real passion for urban design and zoning, including form-based coding. Ideal candidates would have between 1 and 5 years of experience working on planning, zoning, and urban design-related projects either in the public or private sector. Strong SketchUp and Adobe Illustrator skills are a must. Experience with alternative 3D modeling software may be considered.
We are looking for individuals who are motivated team players, excellent verbal, visual, and written communicators, and most importantly, are passionate about building diverse and inclusive cities. Our goal is to develop and equip emerging leaders interested in furthering their careers in the diverse fields of urban design and planning. Ideal candidates should have an advanced degree in urban design, architecture, urban planning, or a related field.
- Strong Sketch-Up skills
- Strong Adobe InDesign and Illustrator skills
- Experience with ArcGIS Pro
- Experience with rendering, massing, and other graphic visualization skills
- Strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills
- Fluency with multidisciplinary and multi-cultural design teams
- Working experience with a variety of client types including public agencies, developers, and institutional organizations
Salary & Benefits
Salary is negotiable. The benefits package includes health insurance, paid time off and holidays, an IRA with an employer match, and funds to support your professional development.
How to Apply