Branch Chief (Capital Region)
Georgia Department of Transportation
Under limited supervision in the Capital Region and Interstate Planning Unit, serves as the Branch Chief of a major organizational branch engaged in the development and maintenance of Capital Region and other Statewide activities in alignment with core planning responsibilities and the Statewide Strategic Transportation Plan/Statewide Transportation Plan (SSTP/SWTP).
Supervises various planners and consultants engaged in the analysis of planning data to
determine multimodal transportation needs, the establishment of databases, the
development of data flow systems and the development of projects to meet the identified
transportation needs of the state.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the following areas:
Planning, Public Policy, Public Administration, or Political Science AND Four years of related
- Experience in the analysis of highway transportation systems
- Experience in the implementation of multimodal strategic planning and analysis
- Possess effective leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and guide others toward
accomplishment of office/department goals.
- Experience in providing effective instruction/training to staff (either direct reports, consultants,
or other governmental entities, such as metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs).
- Experience to effectively negotiate to find mutually acceptable solutions.
- Experience to identify, analyze and provide effective solutions for problems.
- Experience in gathering, interpreting, analyzing and summarizing information that effectively
informs transportation decision making
- Experience with transportation planning, including evaluating the need for transportation
- Experience working with local governments and/or other interested parties in developing
solutions for transportation problems/challenges.
- Experience in reading and interpreting policy at the state and federal level
- Ability to perform and manage strategic initiatives.
- Ability to effectively apply new knowledge and skills to improve work efficiency.
- Possesses strong written and oral communications skills demonstrated through development
of technical reports documenting studies and recommendations and presenting information
- Ability to effectively plan and evaluate the work of staff
- Ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Possess strong supervisory skills
- Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with data evaluation and analysis software
- Strong customer orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
NOTE: This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of the Employer.
For budgetary reasons, salaries are set and non-negotiable, and relocation assistance is not available.
Salary & Benefits
Grow Your Career with GDOT!
GDOT is on the cutting edge of innovation in the Transportation Industry. We value teamwork, collaboration and strive for excellence in all we do. GDOT offers positions with competitive salaries and promotional opportunities to enhance your skills while advancing your career. Join the GDOT Team for a career in the public sector and use your talents to make a real difference in your community!
We offer a comprehensive Benefits Package including:
- Health Insurance, Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Work-Life Balance (flexible work schedules, sick leave, paid vacation, and 13 paid holidays)
- Teleworking may be an option depending on your position
- Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Program
- Retirement benefits with 401K matching
- Job training, mentoring, and more!
How to Apply