DeKalb County Government
These openings are for HVAC and electrical Building Inspectors in the Planning & Sustainability department.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Conducts field inspections throughout the County at project sites for code compliance, including residential and commercial site installations; inspects building, framing, footing/slabs, HVAC, and plumbing installations; and reviews approved building plans and compares to actual construction to ensure compliance.
- Identifies code violations and needed corrective action; writes letters to contractors, architects, engineers, and/or property owners regarding inspection findings; re-inspects after completion of required corrections/modifications; issues citations for violations; and prepares and presents evidence in Court as needed.
- Approves construction activities and final products which meet building, HVAC and plumbing code requirements; and maintains inspection records and related documentation in departmental systems.
- Communicates with building owners, contractors, developers, and the general public regarding codes, inspection procedures, and other issues pertaining to code compliance programs and services; responds to questions, complaints and/or requests for information; and explains and interprets division policies and procedures, ordinances and code.
- Performs a variety of administrative duties in support of inspection work; makes and returns phone calls; prioritizes and schedules assigned inspections; completes daily log sheet; preparing inspection files, certification files, building permits, letters, etc.; enters information collected into database; and maintains all related records and files.
- High school diploma or GED required;
- Three years of experience in building trades or construction; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this classification.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Georgia contractors or master trades license, (Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC) or must have an International Code Council (ICC) Residential and Commercial Building Inspections (Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical certifications) according to area of assignment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range: $46,528 – $72,118
How to Apply