City of Austell
Description of Job / Position
Directs and oversees the overall management of daily department functioning in planning, zoning and the business licensing operations of the City. This position will work with the Community Affairs Department to provide comprehensive planning oversight within the City, along with performance of various administrative tasks, simple to complex site plan review and coordination between city departments on community and economic development projects.
The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of specific duties and responsibilities will not preclude it from the position.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities of the Position:
- Accomplishes department objectives by supervising staff; organizing and monitoring work process.
- Maintain a positive and cooperative working relationship with homeowners, property owners, business owners, contractors, architects, engineers and other while enforcing various codes and regulations with areas of responsibility.
- Represent the City to community groups, committees, boards and outside agencies as assigned by the Director/Assistant Director.
- Develop and recommend ordinance, policy, procedure or process changes for the effective management of assigned functions.
- Accurately analyze complex issues in high pressure situations, make effective decisions and adopt effective courses of action.
- Demonstrate positive and effective interaction and communication with individuals of diverse occupational and social-economic-ethnic backgrounds.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Prepare and present clear and concise plans, reports and recommendations.
- Work effectively on several projects concurrently.
- Respond to inquiries, complaints and requests for information.
- Performs other administrative tasks such as reviewing payroll, contacting vendors, purchasing equipment and supplies.
- Attends professional schools, seminars, and/or conferences as needed to stay up-to-date on laws, zoning trends, and other information pertinent to zoning.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities of the Zoning Administrator:
- Plan, organize, and direct the operations, programs and activities of Zoning and Planning Services in accordance with federal, state and local laws and ordinances, policies, procedures and standards.
- Conducts technical reviews, site inspections, and makes staff reports to the Assistant Director on specific project proposals such as, but not limited to, special use permit applications, conditional use permit applications, zoning amendments, variances and appeals.
- Administer and enforce development ordinances and regulations related to zoning, subdivision, critical areas, environmental policy and other land use and development regulations and ordinances. Interpret and explain planning codes and laws.
- Review and issue a variety of land use and zoning permits, as well as ensure permits are issued for continuing compliance with applicable conditions.
- Attends Planning and Zoning Board meetings, to report on zoning issues and advise on issues related to zoning administration.
- Conduct and record field inspections in response to violation complaints issued and communicate with complainants and property owners as needed.
- Self-initiate enforcement cases through proactive observation.
- Develops recommendations regarding zoning amendments, zoning permit fee structures, zoning forms; and may propose solutions to any problem encountered in administering the Zoning Ordinance.
- Keeps the zoning map, text, and office records up-to-date by recording all amendments and retaining all official documents; and makes copies of the zoning ordinance available to the public.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities of the Building Official:
- Ensure compliance with and provide interpretations and exceptions for building code issues per City ordinances, policies, procedures and accepted practices; and issue permits, certificates of occupancy, etc. as authorized by codes and regulations.
- Plan, organize, manage, and perform the activities and functions of permitting, including customer service, routing of permit applications, work flow and interdepartmental coordination with other departments’ staff as necessary to ensure a predictable, efficient, and accurate review and issuance of permits and approvals in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Serve as technical expert and adviser regarding building codes and permitting activities and processes.
- Maintain current knowledge, trends, developments and best practices in delivery of building services; assess the effectiveness operations; research, develop and implement new policies, procedures, processes, forms, etc. to respond to changing conditions or to increase efficiency, predictability and customer satisfaction.
- Maintain current knowledge of legal standards pertaining to building and permitting services; prepare revisions to related codes, ordinances, regulations and standards as appropriate.
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively work and communicate persuasively and courteously with homeowners and contractors often under stressful or adversarial situations, as well as all level of staff within and outside of the organization, including city council and planning board members. Ability to exercise a high degree of independent judgment and discretion and maintain the confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information. Ability to write and speak clearly and concisely and to express ideas and recommendations effectively orally and in writing.
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, Business, Public Administration or closely related field preferred; or any combination of education and experience which would provide the desired skills, knowledge and ability to perform the job.
Specific Job Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job.
- Two years progressively responsible experience in building, land use planning, zoning, and permitting.
- Working knowledge of at least one of the following:
- Local planning, zoning, and development codes and municipal government procedures.
- Codes, regulations, and laws relating to building standards, construction, and life safety provisions (i.e. plumbing, fire, mechanical, and energy)
- Working knowledge and ability to operate windows-based computer and related software applications including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and other specialized software applications that support the building inspection function.
- Must have a record of good work attendance.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing to individuals and to groups.
- Ability to drive a City vehicle, possess a current and valid State of Georgia driver’s license and good driving record.
How to Apply
Please complete an application in its entirety and return it to:
Human Resources, 5000 Austell Powder-Springs Rd. Suite 137 Austell, GA 30106