City of Port Wentworth
Port Wentworth, Georgia
The City of Port Wentworth is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of City Planner.
Qualified applicants must possess knowledge of general planning principles and concepts. The incumbent is responsible for providing land use planning, area use planning, and other development project services to the City.
- Oversees the preparation and review of development plans and reports on a municipal,
regional, or urban level.
- Performs and manages complex and sensitive professional planning projects.
- Serves as an expert resource on state environmental law, land use law, and associated
- Conducts data research and analysis to advise city management, elected officials, various
councils, boards, and commissions on planning-related matters.
- Oversees specialized planning functions, such as large-scale new development proposals and environmental studies.
- Serves as liaison to and performs all necessary functions in support of Planning Commission
and Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Serves as coordinator of municipal Geographic Information System (GIS) operations and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field
(city planning, urban planning, architecture, civil engineering, etc.).
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the
position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having
had a similar position for five years.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the
requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for the job.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia.
- American Institute of Certified Planners certification (AICP) granted by the American Planning
Salary & Benefits
The City of Port Wentworth offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The municipality offers a defined benefit plan, medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and other coverage options.
How to Apply
Employment applications may be downloaded from the City of Port Wentworth website.
Please submit employment applications to: City of Port Wentworth, Human Resources Department, 7224 GA Highway 21, Port Wentworth, GA 31407.