City of Statesboro
Description of Job / Position
The Planning & Development Specialist is responsible for and performs a variety of administrative, technical, and professional work related to the programs and services of the Department of Planning & Development for the City of Statesboro. Assist with permits, report writing and production, land use applications, public information distribution, and a variety of special projects involving research, writing, organization, and report production and filing.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepares various written reports on behalf of the Department;
- Writes grant request and administrative filings, land use analysis, research recommendations, and others;
- Designs and produces public information materials for department including brochures, posters, newsletters, and other public education and presentation materials;
- Posts department related news and activities on website and other media sources at direction of Director;
- Performs zoning, land use, and planning and development, ordinance research as needed for routine and special projects of the Department;
- Assists with ordinance development and revision;
- Assists the public, builders, staff and others with general ordinance and code questions and assists with processing their applications;
- Provides back up to the Development Project Manager and Administrative Assistant as needed;
- Handles telephone calls and responds to routine informational requests based on ordinances and established policies and procedures;
- Assists Code Compliance officers with ordinance questions and policy development;
- Provides assistance with zoning variances, annexation requests, rezoning reviews, etc.;
- Assists with Planning Commission cases;
- Conducts zoning reviews for occupational tax certificate (business license), building permits, sign permits, zoning certifications, and land use applications;
- Conducts on site reviews and inspections as needed;
- Reviews plans submitted for approval;
- Accepts, receives, and/or collects payments;
- Reads and interprets maps, site plans, building plans, and plats;
- Files and retrieves materials and data from manual filing systems and computerized databases;
- Creates and maintains organizational and filing systems for special projects; and
- Performs other assigned duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the department’s rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Knowledge of or ability to learn and interpret applicable codes and ordinances of the City, especially the zoning ordinance;
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment;
- Knowledge of brochure or newsletter production;
- Knowledge of website postings;
- Skilled in using computers for data entry;
- Skilled in using computers for word processing and/or accounting purposes;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with other City employees, City officials, customers, and the general public;
- Ability to independently develop and maintain a schedule of projects;
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions;
- Ability to process information, applications and forms requiring accuracy, thoroughness, timeliness, and attention to detail;
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with property owners, citizens, developers, builders, City officials, fellow staff, and the public;
- Ability to drive and operate assigned vehicles in a safe and efficient manner;
- Ability to work independently under general supervision;
ability to prepare professional correspondence, reports, grant filings, and public information releases;
- Ability to produce brochures, newsletters, websites, presentations, and reports that are professional in appearance and include a variety of written materials, pictures, charts, graphs, and maps;
- Skilled in the use small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems;
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and an orientation towards customer service;
- Ability to supervise, organize, and communicate effectively;
- Ability to maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with others; and
- Ability to cooperate with fellow employees as a team member.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning public administration, engineering or a closely related field;
- One (1) year of experience in a related field;
- Or equivalent training, education, and/or experience; and
- Valid State of Georgia Driver’s License.
The candidate(s) selected for hire must provide the following items at the time of Conditional Offer:
- Driver’s License
- Official Copy of High School Transcript and/or College Transcript
- Void Check or Direct Deposit Form/memo from Bank
- SSN’s of dependents for benefits enrollment
- Original Social Security Card
- If applicable, Marriage Certificate
*New Hires who do not provide the above information at the time of Conditional Offer will not begin employment.
Department: Planning & Development
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Salary & Benefits
Rate of Pay: $20.04 with Competitive Benefits
How to Apply
Open Until Filled
Equal Opportunity Statement
The City of Statesboro is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Statesboro will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with eligible disabilities (unless the disability precludes performance of the essential functions of the position).
The City of Statesboro is a drug free workplace.
The City of Statesboro participates in E-Verify.