City of Savannah
This position performs civil engineering duties in support of the assigned department operations.
- Coordinates, assigns and reviews work and establishes work schedules; maintains standards; monitors status of work in progress; inspects completed work assignments; answers questions; gives advice and direction as needed.
- Administers, reviews, approves and manages planning, operation, construction, and repair activities or projects.
- Prepares designs for construction and renovation projects.
- Administers and supervises assigned activities and associated personnel.
- Develops and approves engineering design plans, drawings, specifications and studies.
- Establishes, reviews, and approves design criterion and parameters for civil engineering projects; prioritizes and schedules engineering projects and set deadlines.
- Plans, designs, reviews, and directs the development of City civil engineering projects such as paving, bridge, street, roads and irrigation systems, storm water management, drainage improvement, sewer and water construction, telecommunication projects, park facilities, play courts, buildings, and other public works projects.
- Directs or prepares computations, draft and design plans and specifications.
- Reviews construction plans to identify needs, design problems, and compliance to standards, including compliance of projects with environmental protection laws.
- Prepares capital project budgets including all projected design, construction, and administrative costs.
- Manages engineering and construction projects including financial performance, schedule performance, and technical review.
- Designs, permits, and produces studies for improvements to existing infrastructure.
- Coordinates with outside agencies and contractors to communicate information and settle conflicts, should they occur.
- Performs and reviews a variety of property related assignments.
- Interprets and assesses spatial information for accuracy and completeness.
- Responds to inquiries from property owners, City personnel, the general public, and/or other interested parties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Structural or Construction Engineering or an equivalent engineering degree
- Four (4) years of experience as a Registered Professional Engineer; or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Knowledge of interdisciplinary engineering principles.
- Knowledge of ADA regulations and guidelines.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal public works operations.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance standards.
- Knowledge of traffic signal systems.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and other modern office equipment.
- Skill in developing short- and long-range plans.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in the reading and interpretation of codes, guidelines, technical specifications, and blueprints.
- Skill in the operation of computers and other modern office equipment.
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Director assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The work is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices; Georgia Department of Transportation driveway regulations; city standard construction details; bureau CIP manual guidelines; AASHTO Geometric and Roadside Design Guides; and the Americans with Disabilities Act regulations. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied civil engineering and project administration
duties. Unique designs that require research contributes to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to manage capital improvement projects, research and prepare studies, reports, manuals, and procedures. Successful performance in this position results in the efficiency and effectiveness of department operations.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, engineers, consultants, architects, vendors, developers, and members of the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, provide services, resolve problems, justify decisions, and negotiate and settle matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, or walking. The employee frequently lifts light objects, and distinguishes between shades of color.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office or outdoors. The employee may be exposed to cold or inclement weather conditions.
Salary & Benefits
- Paid Holiday
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Sick Leave
- Defined Benefit Retirement Pension Plan
- Protective Services Retirement Plan (select positions)
- Deferred Compensation Retirement Plan
- Retirement Seminars
- PPO Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Wellness Programs
- Health & Wellness Incentives
- Long Term Disability
- Excellence and Service Recognition
- Employee Development and In-Service Training
- Educational Assistance Program
- Uniform Allowance (select positions)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounts and Memberships
- Employee Relations
- Direct Deposit
- Credit Union
- Pretax Parking Deductions
- Employer Assisted Home Purchase Program
- Domestic Partnership Benefits
- PPO Medical Plus Plan
- PPO Medical Basic Plan
- Dental Plus Plan
- Dental Basic Plan
- Vision Service Plan
Basic Life and ADD
Supplemental Life Employee
Supplemental Life Spouse
Supplemental Life Child
Benefits costs are paid by the City of Savannah, by the employee or shared by both the City and the employee.
How to Apply