City of Roswell
The purpose of this classification is to perform professional work at the director level by providing leadership and guidance over all operations of the Community Development Department. Performs managerial tasks that involve setting priorities, ensuring compliance with development regulations and zoning ordinances, interpreting rules and regulations governing departmental operations, developing and implementing policy and procedure and directing all assigned support functions. Work is performed under the general direction of the City Administrator.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, establishing employee goals and completing employee performance appraisals; maintains standards through the effective coordination of activities; allocates personnel; provides recommendations and approval in the areas of new employee selection, transfers, promotions, disciplinary action, discharge, and salary administration; develops training programs.
- Performs managerial tasks to facilitate the efficient and effective operations of the department; provides leadership and guidance to the department; implements and updates a work program for the department; develops and implements operating procedures; oversees the implementation of policies established by the Community Development Committee.
- Develops and implements the departmental budget; performs reviews on budget spending and related budget issues; monitors budgetary activity to ensure guidelines are maintained.
- Reviews, analyzes and interprets data related to development activities; administers and enforces all development rules and ordinances; reviews applications, plats and site plans for compliance with applicable codes; negotiates issues and resolves problems with citizens, developers, builders, contractors, government officials; directs and monitors on-site inspections on an as needed basis.
- Reviews, analyzes and interprets data related to economic development matters; assists in coordinating economic development activities and establishing office objectives; ensures activities are in support of City goals.
- Communicates with a wide variety of groups and individuals to provide and gather information; meets with department heads, developers and citizens; responds to the Mayor and City Council; prepares reports and related documents; represents the Department at regional and State meetings.
- Performs various public relations tasks; receives and responds to public complaints; monitors customer survey results.
- Performs administrative duties in support of the daily operations of the department; revises departmental forms and documents; develops and updates customer brochures and related materials; facilitates re-writing of ordinances.
- Operates a personal computer, phone system, and other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and other system software used by the department.
Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Urban and Regional Planning or closely related field required, Master’s degree preferred; ten years of experience in technical planning and management; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Salary & Benefits
The City of Roswell offers its employees a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Many of the benefits offered are designed to improve the quality of life of the City’s employees. Some of these benefits are traditional, but others are examples of the City’s progressive work environment.
The starting salary is market competitive and will be established based upon the specific qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. Starting salary is expected to be in the range of $115,000 – $142,000. Benefits are available for full-time employees. Benefits begin the 1st of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Medical Insurance: HealthEZ (Cigna PPO Network) – The City will contribute up to $1,500 a year to an HSA depending on the plan of choice.
- Dental: Metlife – 2 plans offered (in and out of network plan). Cost sharing.
- Vision Insurance: Affordable premiums 100% paid by employee.
- Limited FSA offered for vision/dental expenses
- Basic Life /Voluntary Life: The Standard – Basic Life (3X Salary) is provided by the City at no cost to the employee. Additional term life insurance available, paid by the employee.
- Employee Wellness: An affordable and convenient Employee Wellness Center (with a dispensary) is available for preventative care, common illnesses, and maintenance programs. The City also offers a free employee fitness center and group fitness classes.
- Critical Illness Insurance: Paid by the employee.
- Group Accident Insurance: Paid by the employee.
- Short & Long Term Disability: Both are 100% paid by the City.
- Employee Assistance Plan: 6 free visits for employee/ family per calendar year.
- Flexible Spending Account: Dependent Care.
- Education Assistance: Tuition Reimbursement of up to $5,250 per year, subject to IRS regulations. Eligible after 1 year of full-time service.
- Pension Plan: Defined Contribution Plan. Employer funding at 10% of annual salary with an optional match of 1:1 up to a maximum of 5%.
- Deferred Compensation (457b) Retirement Plan: Employee voluntarily contributes to investment plan pretax. Enroll at any time. No loans available.
- 401a Employer Match: The City has approved a 1% of base salary match when a full time employee contributes 2% to their 457b plan. Vesting schedule applies. Match is based on approval by Mayor and Council every fiscal year. Enroll at any time.
- ROTH IRA: Employee contributes to plan after tax. No matching funds from the City of Roswell. Enroll at any time.
- Paid Time Off (PTO) with balance rollover from year to year; Paid Sick Leave with balance rollover from year to year; Paid Holidays; Paid Volunteerism/ Civic Engagement Leave.
How to Apply