SAFEbuilt has an immediate opening for a Community Planner in the Greater Atlanta Area. The incumbent will assist in the development and implementation of the County Comprehensive Plan and related programs and projects and assist staff and external customers on matters relating to urban planning issues. Work is performed in accordance with county codes and ordinances, departmental policies and procedures, best planning practices, and state and federal planning and zoning regulations. The incumbent will be responsible for ongoing planning and zoning assistance, comprehensive planning and development reviews. This position will perform diverse work assignments that may include regulatory review; development review applications and referrals; pedestrian, bicycle, transit, and motor vehicle transportation studies; and land use, community, and public facilities planning. The challenges are varied, and the opportunities are wide open.
More About SAFEbuilt: One of the fastest growing providers of privatized community development solutions in the country, SAFEbuilt partners with over 1000 communities of all shapes and sizes throughout the country for the efficient delivery of privatized community development solutions including: building department services, community and transportation planning & zoning and community improvement services. Learn more.
- Maintains, updates, and ensures the implementation of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Conducts studies and develops plans to promote specific goals.
- Ensures proposed developments comply with planning/zoning requirements.
- Assists the public, developers, staff and others through meetings, telephone discussions and site inspections in interpretation of the Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Code, Development
- Code, and the Unified Development Ordinance.
- Attends evening public meetings as needed.
- Prepares materials for presentation at public meetings.
- Assists in processing land use and zoning changes. Reviews development plans and plats.
- Provides project research and technical assistance to the public and staff. Researches planning issues and coordinates with other planners and agencies.
- Completes grant applications for project funding with regional, state and federal agencies.
- Represents the county at meetings with developers, other jurisdictions, and regional and state agencies.
- Assists in writing ordinances and regulations relating to development controls.
- Collects and analyzes data from various sources, including various governmental entities.
- Prepares summaries of findings and recommendations.
- May make presentations to the Director, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment and County Board of Commissioners.
- Reviews plans and permits to approve/disapprove building, grading or other permits.
- Identifies problems and changes needed for relevant code and resolution compliance and prepares written comments for applicant correspondence.
- Writes and develops planning reports, correspondence, plans, and other materials. Explains technical planning issues and concepts to support research conclusions and recommendations.
- Participates in preliminary planning work for various geographies.
- Provides a wide range of technical assistance to enhance and support presentations to planning officials, community and business groups and the general public. Develops and prepares visual and written materials for presentations as directed.
- Communicates with a wide range of individuals that may include residents, developers, engineers, advocates, architects, attorneys, department planning staff, and other agencies.
- Serves on committees, task forces, special intra-department teams for the purposes of contributing technical expertise to achieve goals and objectives of work efforts.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of county policies and procedures. Knowledge of county and state planning requirements.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, operations, services and activities of zoning and planning programs. Knowledge of county zoning ordinance, codes, regulations, and policies.
- Ability to read technical plans and construction documents.
- Ability to research, analyze, and interpret data, studies, reports, laws, regulations, goals and objectives.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with staff and customers.
- Knowledge of the development review process and various application types including the order of approvals.
- Ability to review and understand technical and analytical reports, plans, and correspondence, including engineering drawings, transportation studies, and site plans.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues and reports to a non-technical audience through presentations, written correspondence, etc.
- Ability to analyze and research planning issues and policies and apply basic principles to solve problems involving multiple variables and develop recommendations and conclusions.
- Is organized, detail oriented and accurate, and can effectively prioritize their own work in the context of department practices and established time frames.
- Has skill in the use, operation, and application of Microsoft Office software, especially the Microsoft Office suite; GIS mapping software; and basic functioning of database software.
- Skill in prioritizing and executing assignments with limited supervision. Skill in using independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work on several tasks simultaneously.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in City, Urban or Regional Planning or related field and 3 years of professional planning experience or Equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Master’s degree in related field preferred
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Competitive Salary & Benefits
Relocation assistance provided
SAFEbuilt is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us or you may call us directly on 970-292-2200.
How to Apply