City of Atlanta Department of City Planning
The Atlanta Department of City Planning is committed to implementing Atlanta City Design and transforming Atlanta into the best possible version of itself. Adopted into the city charter in December 2017, Atlanta City Design articulates an aspiration for the future city that Atlantans can fall in love with, knowing that if people love their city, they will make better decisions about it.
The Department’s objective is to guide the development of the City through planning, design review, plan approval, code compliance, and housing assistance. The Department works closely with the Neighborhood Planning Units, independent community organizations, and developers in an attempt to provide the policy guidance and assistance to support the growth of our community.
The Deputy Commissioner for Strategy reports to the Commissioner of City Planning. This position is responsible for management and coordination of the Directors of Design, Buildings, Housing, Zoning and Development for the purpose of ensuring implementation of the Atlanta City Design. In this role the Deputy will develop a delivery plan for execution of policies, programs and projects across divisions to optimize City of Atlanta investments in design, planning and regulations.
The Deputy Commissioner for Strategy works with the Commissioner and the Deputy Commissioner for Operations to lead a highly functioning and successful Department of City Planning. In this role, the Deputy Commissioner must be creative, disciplined, and adept at implementation and possess a consistent sense of urgency and commitment to public service.
Assists in providing direction to a group of managers engaged in multiple activities related to the planning and community development function; establishes operating policies; provides management coaching and guidance; builds relationships across department and City organizations; develops and manages organizational budget. Helps to plan for the long-term talent needs of the organization; identifies, coaches, and mentors employees for future positions.
- Works with the City Planning Commissioner in developing recommendations to the Mayor, Chief Operating Officer and City Council on strategies, policies, projects related to the city’s growth and development and particularly implementation of the Atlanta City Design.
- Assists with coordinating the development, implementation, and administration of the City’s land use and zoning regulations, planning projects, building code services, property maintenance, and housing/ economic development policies and programs, while also advancing a vision for urban design and creatively utilizing spaces/places within the city.
- Assists the City Planning Commissioner with supervision of staff support to the Urban Design Commission, Zoning Review Board, Tree Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment; and In Rem Board.
- At the direction of the City Planning Commissioner, attend Neighborhood Community Meetings; meet with developers regarding development within the city; respond to citizen inquiries or complaints.
- Supervise and evaluate assigned staff, handling all employee concerns, directing work assignments, counseling and disciplining employees when necessary, and completing employees’ performance appraisals.
- Works with the City Planning Commissioner to inform the public and media on city policies and activities proposed and possible options.
- Works with the City Planning Commissioner in addressing immediate problems and opportunities.
Salary & Benefits
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply