City of Fairburn
This is an exempt, salaried executive position responsible for directing and managing the economic development activities for the City of Fairburn to include attracting new businesses, promoting existing businesses, collaborating with the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) on downtown revitalization, and developing promotional materials for the City. The Director of Economic Development shall be responsible for coordinating all economic development activities of the City in an efficient and effective manner. The Director shall implement activities focusing on the retention and expansion of existing business, and creating jobs while preserving and promoting the quality of life in the City of Fairburn.
Fairburn’s community and economic development strategy is to improve the quality of life for its citizens. This involves building on the City’s strengths, promoting existing businesses, working to retain existing jobs, expanding current businesses, promoting entrepreneurship, and recruiting new businesses. The City of Fairburn’s goals are to strengthen its work force, develop community resources, attract new capital investments, broaden the community’s tax base, create a vibrant downtown district, and provide local community services needed to maintain a good quality of life.
Update and implement the City’s Economic Development Plan, including, but not limited to:
- Performing business retention by visiting businesses on a regular basis; informing merchants about upcoming events and activities; and, acting as the primary point-of-contact to existing companies. Serve as the City’s overseer to both current and prospective businesses; providing coordination and other assistance to businesses in negotiating through the City’s development processes, including to industries having difficulty complying with certain City rules, regulations, and procedures, to include overseeing the permitting process for designated economic development projects.
- Understanding and effectively responding to business requests for financing, incentives, or other funding opportunities for business development and/or expansion in coordination with City staff.
- Planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to promote Fairburn as an ideal business and industry location; capitalizing on economic growth projections, and existing industry clusters in the region through presentations, attending conferences, and trade shows; providing site location assistance, research, and demographic data; communicating with realtors, developers, contractors, individual investors and business owners, organizations (public and private), and economic development prospects; and, working with regional and state economic development agencies to create and submit information and proposals to clients.
- Conducting information collection, data analysis, and policy formulation, regarding land-development patterns supportive of economic development.
- Coordinating community-based development of economic development goals, policies and objectives designed to further the City’s economic development mission.
- Preparing routine management reports as specified by the City Administrator and Mayor and City Council.
- Working closely with local, state, and federal economic development partners in all facets of economic and business development.
- Performing economic development budgeting and administrative functions in coordination with the Finance Department and other core administrative staff.
- Directing, developing, planning, and implementing long and short-term departmental goals and objectives; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Monitoring legislative, regulatory and economic activity related to economic development and evaluating their impact upon the City and proposed projects and recommend policy and procedural modifications.
- Attending the Downtown Development Authority/Development Authority (DDA/DA) meetings and collaborate with the DDA/DA on economic development initiative/plans.
- Assisting in the development of marketing brochures, promotional documents, and community informational materials.
- Communicating with and advising the Mayor and City Council, and the business community; interacting with a wide array of organizations and constituents to educate and build awareness of the City’s economic development mission and priorities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university with required coursework in economic development, business administration, marketing, public administration, or city planning.
- Master’s degree in a related field is preferred, but not mandatory.
- Seven (7) years of experience in economic development, public, or business administration, urban planning, finance, or a related field.
- Any combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Certified Economic Development (CEcD), preferred.
- Possession of a valid Georgia Driver’s License, required.
- Successful completion of background screening.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Thorough knowledge of economic development principles and programs.
- General knowledge of urban and land development concepts.
- Knowledge of or familiar with the principles and operations of TAD Districts (TAD’s), Opportunity Zones (OZ’s), Enterprise Zones (EZ’s), Downtown Development Revolving Loan Funds (DDRLF), Business Districts (BD’s), and other programs.
- Knowledge of commercial lending practices, non-banking alternative forms of financing, real estate transactions, to negotiate multiple party contracts, and marketing and sales programs, is preferred.
- Skill in analyzing corporate and business financial statements to calculate the viability of a company and its potential dollar contribution to the City.
- Skill in using a computer and various software applications, including MS Office, (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) to compose business letters, reports, presentations, emails, and promotional materials.
- Skill in creating, interpreting, presenting, and explaining statistical information, using Excel and other related applications, as appropriate.
- Skill in developing relationships with existing or potential staff, local and state partners, and elected officials.
- Ability to make public presentations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of civic groups, business and property owners, and organizations.
- Ability to interpret and explain codes and regulations.
- Ability to prepare statistical and financial reports.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and manage various projects.
- Ability to be creative and innovative.
- Ability to gather and analyze facts to assemble and present concise reports and presentations.
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with business developers and owners, officials, associated funding agencies, and the general public.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Economic Development Director reports to the City Administrator.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the City’s personnel policies.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of a variety of administrative responsibilities, technical writing, and public speaking.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to establish a competent employee who can assist with managing and implementing the City’s economic development strategy.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, elected and appointed officials, property and business owners, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed with the employee sitting at a desk. The employee uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity and ability to lift 25 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office. Occasional travel may be required.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
Salary & Benefits
Eligible for City’s core benefits, ten (10) paid holidays, ten (10) days’ vacation leave,
ten (10) days sick leave annually and eligible for other City benefits.
How to Apply