City of Kennesaw
Engaged on a full-time basis, and under the direction of the Economic Development Director, the Downtown Manager will work closely with staff, members of the Kennesaw Downtown Development Authority (KDDA), Urban Redevelopment Agency (URA), Historic Preservation Commission (HPC), Special Events Committee, businesses, residents, and development community to attract and facilitate new development, business and services, residences, public amenities, and parking and transportation improvements in the downtown area of Kennesaw consistent with adopted master plans. The Downtown Manager will act as an ombudsman to businesses with the City, act as a facilitator and mediator between residents, businesses, and City, and promote downtown and Entertainment District activities.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist Economic Development and Planning & Zoning in preparing and implementing strategic plans and economic development initiatives.
- Identify and promote improvements to and expansion of existing businesses.
- Identify and promote new business opportunities downtown and gateways.
- Support private development initiatives, including real estate development, in the downtown and gateways.
- Support implementation of Depot Park master plan, approved private development, and downtown parking and transportation plans.
- Research and support strategic land acquisitions for public facilities and amenities and acquisitions to facilitate private development.
- Compile and maintain a detailed economic profile of downtown.
- Develop and maintain database of the available land, buildings and other facilities in downtown and city gateways.
- Identify the needs of the downtown business community, determine solutions and recommend to the appropriate public sector bodies.
- Research grant opportunities that directly support development, transportation improvements, parking and public spaces.
- Analyze economic impact of special events downtown.
- Team member for review of all new developments.
- Research new planning tools, advances to support long-term, cohesive growth of downtown.
- Point of contact for businesses with the City.
- Facilitate between businesses, residents, and the City.
- Advocate for various stakeholder groups: businesses, employees, residents, visitors.
- Serve as staff liaison to KDDA and URA.
- Represent ED with Special Events Committee to increase economic impact of special events.
- Maintain active contacts with the relevant agencies at all levels of governments.
- Participating in regional economic planning activities with DCA and GDA.
- Promote available government programs that assist with economic development of the community.
- As assigned, coordinate and facilitate interactions between governments, other communities, business, industry, and community organizations.
- Attend meetings with Boards, Council and business community as required.
- Support tourism through coordination with Museum, Depot Park Amphitheater, Special Events Committee, and business community.
Promotion & Marketing
- Coordinates with City’s communications and marketing staff to:
- Develop, maintain, and distribute promotional and marketing collateral through multiple social media, website, and other avenues.
- Promote businesses, activities, and cultural events.
- Assist the business community with coordinated promotions and marketing.
- Respond to inquiries from prospective businesses and real estate developers
- Develop relationships with downtown businesses.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the KDDA goals/objectives, business plan and marketing plan.
- Facilitation of partnerships between the businesses, government, communities, educational and financial institutions.
- Support management of public parking with appropriate strategies and enforcement.
- Assist in the development of new public parking master plan.
- Team Lead on development of new public parking.
Administrative and Coordination
- Responsible for scheduling, correspondence and document management for KDDA.
- Coordinate budget preparation, tracking and invoice processing for KDDA.
- Provide KDDA administrative, budget, contract, and invoice support.
Position will be open until filled.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Economic Development, Planning or Business Administration. Five (5) years related experience preferably in support of downtown development, planning, travel and tourism or related activities, preferably in local government with a medium sized city; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license. Must obtain and maintain the following certifications: Level 1 Georgia Downtown Development Professional (GDDP) certification from GDA within 18 months. May be required to obtain and maintain Georgia Certified Economic Development Professional designation.
How to Apply