City of Clarkston
The Economic Development Coordinator supports the business attraction, retention and expansion, workforce development, and program management functions of the City of Clarkston. General responsibilities include implementing projects and programs that support job growth and investment, providing administrative support, assisting with planning, and coordinating events, meetings, and compiling research and data.
- Under the supervision of the Planning and Economic Development Manager, this position provides administrative support to the Planning and Economic Development Department including scheduling meetings.
- Acts as a designated point of contact for businesses and developers navigating the City of Clarkston’s permitting process.
- Maintains a customer relations management database and tracks Planning and Economic Development Department progress towards goals for use in reports.
- Coordinates target industry advisory councils in partnership with Planning and Economic Development Department team members.
- Research key issues and assists Planning and Economic Development Manager in preparing research and industry information for use in website development, event development, and social media.
- Coordinates programs and projects that support commercial, office, and industrial development, workforce development, and small business development initiatives.
- Analyzes data and reports that impact economic development priorities and policies in the City of Clarkston.
- Assists in generating attraction and expansion leads.
- Assists in responding to Requests for Information from partners and others.
- Travels to trainings, conferences, and regional meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Proficient knowledge of economics and planning principles.
- Awareness of government laws and regulations, MuniCode, and other important agency policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of business and management principles including strategic planning, resource allocation, and leadership techniques.
- Possess innovative thinking abilities to develop new ideas.
- Proficient time management skills.
- Ability to make quick and accurate decisions.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: Work is performed under the general supervision of the Planning & Economic Development Manager and reviewed through the inspection of records and the evaluation of the efficiency and effectiveness of programs.
COMPLEXITY: Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Work requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of guidelines, policies, standards, and precedents.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with coworkers, other city employees, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed with the employee sitting at a desk or standing. The employee uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office and in the community. Attends evening and weekend work will be required as job duties demand.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The City of Clarkston is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, or any other class or status protected by law.
The City of Clarkston is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
Any combination of education and experience providing skill and knowledge for successful job performance is required. Typical qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management, or marketing, or related field.
- One to three years of prior experience in an economic development organization or similar position.
- Experience and knowledge in local government preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365.
- Experience with coordinating communications and engagement activities, preferably in a public setting.
Salary & Benefits
The Economic Development Coordinator starting pay will be commensurate with the chosen candidate’s qualifications and experience. The City of Clarkston also offers an attractive benefits package, including health benefits, retirement plans, and paid leave.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and professional references at the link below.
No unsolicited letters, emails, telephone calls, or in-person submission will be considered in fairness to other potential candidates for this position.
You understand that any misrepresentation or material omission made by you on this application will be sufficient cause for cancellation of this application or immediate termination of employment if you are employed, whenever it may be discovered.
IMPORTANT: By submitting your resume online, you hereby authorize the City of Clarkston to contact, obtain, and verify the accuracy of the information contained in this application from all previous employers, references, and educational institutions. You also hereby release from liability the City of Clarkston and its representatives for seeking, gathering, and using such information to make employment decisions and all other persons or organizations for providing such information.
This position is open until filled.