City of Atlanta
The purpose of this job is to review construction plans to ensure compliance with regulatory codes, ordinances, and laws. Duties include but are not limited to approving building plans and specifications; assisting architects and developers with building code conformation; answering inquiries regarding construction materials and procedures; explaining departmental procedures; and processing paperwork. Work independently or in teams, reporting to the Project Manager.
These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Reviews electrical designs submitted for commercial applications. Covering all aspects of design and installation in compliance with the State adopted NEC.
- Verification of all electrical components and their uses. Included but not limited to, all wiring, lighting, load calculations, box fill, medical requirements, pool requirements, outdoor lighting, grounding and all connections from the electrical source to the structure.
- Discusses electrical installations with contractors, property owners and other interested parties.
- Explains and interprets codes and standards; Examines submittal documents for electrical equipment compliance with current adopted jurisdictional codes.
- Identify deficiencies in electrical submittal documents and communicates procedural requirements for correction of these documents in compliance with jurisdictional codes and standards.
- Responds to inquiries regarding electrical designs from parties including, but not limited to, other plan reviewers, inspectors, registrants, owners, and contractors; Maintains knowledge of code updates and ordinance changes and attends seminars for continuing education on code and ordinance changes; Assisting a high volume of architects, engineers, developers, and customers in conformity to building code regulations; Providing services at a public counter to answer questions and approve plans; answering inquiries regarding construction materials and procedures; Explaining departmental procedures to customers in order to facilitate permit issuance; directing customers to appropriate divisions for requested services; Maintaining accurate records, files of plans, plan review status and work performed.
- Offers suggestions and direct or participates as a member of a work team.
- Administrative Duties: Evaluates and approves electrical plans and specifications that comply with city codes and regulations regarding zoning, structural adequacy, life safety, and fire emergency exit configuration.
- Research projects and gathers information from specifications, standards and design manuals, electrical codes and life safety codes, and governmental regulations.
- Interpersonal Relations: Confers with architects and engineers to acquire information necessary to assess building’s electrical systems Assists architects, engineers, developers, homeowners, and general public in voluntary conformity to electrical code regulations; Answers inquiries from customers in office and over telephone regarding construction methods, procedures, and materials used; Explains departmental procedures to customers in order to facilitate permit issuance; directs customers to appropriate divisions for requested services; Marginal Job Functions Performs other related duties as required.
- Administrative Duties: Prepares periodic updates in the City’s database regarding plans review and other issues. Communication: Confers with supervisor, Inspectors, contractors, the general public and others regarding code interpretations, and related issues.
- Problem Identification and Solution: Studies, interprets, and ensures Electrical -NEC codes are adhered to in system designs.
- Follows standardized procedures, building code regulations and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks. Applies organizational policies and codes. Leadership Provided Provides guidance and training as required to lower level, interns, temporary employees, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of established electrical and construction codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of electrical construction procedures and methods as required in the performance of duties Knowledge of the terminology used within the department
- Ability to compile, organize, prepare, and maintain an assortment of records, reports and information.
- Ability to communicate with supervisors and other staff members.
- Ability to use independent judgment. Ability to perform the mathematical calculations required by the job.
- Ability to utilize and understand computer applications and techniques required by the job.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
- Ability to comprehend and apply regulations and procedures of the department.
- Ability to work under a minimum degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention to detail and tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architectural or Electrical Engineering, Building Construction, or related field is required.
- Three (3) years of experience reviewing plans, for compliance with electrical systems for major structures.
- Additional classes in electrical engineering desired to show proficiency in electrical designs, standards, and general practices. OR State certified Electrical contractor License in Electrical Commercial and High school diploma or equivalent with considerable experience in electrical construction trades. Minimum five years construction experience in a supervisory capacity or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Georgia Driver’s License
- Certified Electrical Inspector Plans Examiner by the ICC or obtain Certification within 6 months of hire.
- At least five years field experience as a state Certified Electrical Contractor issued by the Georgia Construction Industry Licensing Board with not less than five years of field experience; OR A current license issued by the State of Georgia as an Engineer may substitute for three of the required five years of construction experience.
- Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job
Salary & Benefits
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How to Apply