City of Atlanta
The purpose of this job is to review construction plans to ensure compliance with regulatory codes, ordinances, and laws. Duties include but are not limited to approving fire sprinkler plans and specifications; assisting fire sprinkler C of Cs and sprinkler installers with NFPA code conformation; answering inquiries regarding construction materials and procedures; explaining departmental procedures; and processing paperwork.
These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs skilled plan review and/or inspection work in the enforcement of municipal ordinances and regulations which govern the installation and modification of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems, Foam water systems, FM 200 systems, and Halon systems, as well as Reviewing for approval fire sprinkler plans and specifications that comply with city codes and regulations regarding NFPA 13, 13R and 13D installations requirements in the City of Atlanta;
- Provides code interpretation or other assistance to contractors, engineers, the general public, and others as necessary;
- Confers with contractors regarding fire protection installations and applicable codes and regulations; Investigates suspected unlicensed installers or unpermitted work;
- Assisting a high volume of fire sprinkler installers, and customers in conformity NFPA 13, 13R and 13D installations requirements/regulations;
- Providing services at a public counter to answer questions and review plans; answering inquiries regarding construction materials and procedures;
- Explaining departmental procedures to customers in order to facilitate permit issuance; directing customers to appropriate divisions for requested services;
- Maintaining accurate records, files of plans, plan review status and work performed.
- Offers suggestions and direct or participates as a member of a work team.
- Evaluates and approves fire suppression plans and specifications that comply with city codes and regulations regarding design hydraulics, hazard evaluation, detection systems, Fire sprinkler control valve assembly, standpipe design, Wet pipe systems, Deluge systems, Dry pipe systems, Pre-Action Systems, Foam water systems, FM 200 systems, Halon systems, EFSR systems, as well as NFPA 13, 13R and 13D installations requirements.
- Research projects and gathers information from NFPA standards and Georgia State codes, as well as governmental regulations. Interpersonal Relations: Confers with Fire Suppression design professionals to acquire information necessary to assess buildings compliance with requirements.
- Assists architects, engineers, developers, homeowners, and general public in voluntary conformity to Fire Suppression requirements. A
- nswers inquiries from customers in office and over telephone regarding construction methods, procedures, and materials used.
- Explains departmental procedures to customers in order to facilitate permit issuance; directs customers to appropriate divisions for requested services.
- Supervision of Fire Sprinkler Division of City of Atlanta Office of Buildings Consult with customers regarding fire sprinkler questions to ensure code compliance.
- Marginal Job Functions Performs other related duties as required.
- Prepares periodic updates in the City’s database regarding plans review and other issues.
- Confers with supervisor, Inspectors, contractors, the general public and others regarding code interpretations, and related issues.
- Studies, interprets, and ensures Fire sprinkler/suppression systems are adhered to in designs.
- Follows standardized procedures, building code regulations and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Applies organizational policies and codes.
- Develop code interpretation for application by Division Answers questions and otherwise provides assistance to contractors, engineers, the general public, and others as necessary; confers with contractors regarding water-based fire protection installations and applicable codes and regulations; investigates suspected unlicensed installers or unpermitted work.
- Developing forms and standards as needed.
- Leadership Provided Provides guidance and training as required to lower level, interns, temporary employees, etc.
- Provides training and direction to Plan review and Inspection staff on Fire Suppression systems to ensure quality of service, operational logistics and adherence to fire protection and life safety standards as adopted by the City of Atlanta and State of Georgia.
- Instruct Division employees on administrative policies and procedures. Respond to complaints that are forwarded to the City of Atlanta from the State of Georgia regarding fire sprinkler concerns for properties under the City’s jurisdiction.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of established building and construction codes and regulations.
- Has considerable knowledge of hydraulics, hazard evaluation, detection systems, Fire sprinkler control valve assembly, stand pipe design, Wet pipe systems, Deluge systems, Dry pipe systems, Pre-Action Systems, Foam water systems, FM 200 systems, Halon systems, EFSR systems, as well as NFPA 13, 13R and 13D installations requirements.
- Ability to develop and administer policies, procedures, and job practices and develop logistic necessary to complete the daily responsibilities of the Division within the SLA established by the Director of the Department.
- Ability of comprehend, interpret and apply code regulations and to instruct others.
- Knowledge of fire sprinkler construction procedures and methods as required in the performance of duties
- Knowledge of the terminology used within the department Ability to compile, organize, prepare, and maintain an assortment of records, reports and information. Ability to communicate with supervisors and other staff members.
- Ability to use independent judgment. Ability to perform the mathematical calculations required by the job.
- Ability to utilize and understand computer applications and techniques required by the job.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
- Ability to comprehend and apply regulations and procedures of the department.
- Ability to work under a minimum degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention to detail and tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Architecture or Fire suppression Engineering, or related field is required.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in plan review and 2 years of inspection experience in the Fire sprinkler for hydraulics, hazard evaluation, detection systems, Fire sprinkler control valve assembly, stand pipe design, Wet pipe systems, Deluge systems, Dry pipe systems, Pre-Action Systems, Foam water systems, FM 200 systems, Halon systems, EFSR systems, as well as NFPA 13, 13R and 13D installations requirements.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job will be considered.
- Valid Georgia Drivers License All Candidates must obtain ICC Licensure or NICET III Certification within 8 months of employment.
- Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
Preferred Education & Experience
- At least 4 years of supervisory experience of staff, preferably in the construction industry, including leadership, management and logistics. ICC or NICET III certification(s) in Fire or Fire sprinkler design, inspections and/or plan review.
Salary & Benefits
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply