City of Fairburn
Description of Job / Position
This is an exempt, salary position exercising independent judgement, under the supervision of the Director of Planning and Zoning, in the area of planning, zoning and development functions of the City, using appropriate methods commensurate with the difficulty or magnitude of the projects. The individual will work closely with the Director of Planning and Zoning, Community Development Director, elected officials, other City department personnel, and internal and external customers.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Under general supervision:
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities within the department.
- Assist with developing short and long range plans; gathers, helps with interpreting and preparing data for studies, reports and recommendations.
- Assist with administering the City’s zoning, development, and landscape ordinances and GIS ArcView or similar software.
- Assist with coordinating the review of subdivision plans with developers, engineers, planning staff, other city employees, and the general public; prepares reports for presentation to the Planning & Zoning Commission and other boards; records and maintains minutes of the Planning & Zoning Commission and other board proceedings.
- Update the City’s GIS system to reflect final plat and as-built plans
- Manage the planning department GIS database
- Create and edit zoning, hazard and other special features maps and graphical representations
- Coordinate with staff on all matters relating to GIS equipment, capabilities and services.
- Assist with the review and prepare zoning reports in conjunction with consultant support and other City employees; assist with the preparation of reports for presentation to the Planning & Zoning Commission and various boards
- Assist with the review of special use, variance, zoning applications and concept and site plans for compliance with the zoning and other related ordinances; conducts on-site inspections as needed.
- Assist with providing administrative support to the Planning & Zoning Commission and other boards by preparing the agenda, meeting packets, and all correspondence; serves on staff committees as assigned.
- Assist with reviewing analyzing and interprets laws, rules, regulations and ordinances.
- Assist with drafting amendments to the zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations as required.
- Assist with ensuring land uses are located in proper zones and in compliance with zoning ordinances.
- Assist with coordinating with code enforcement staff to ensure that all signs are in compliance with construction, location, and setback requirements.
- Assist with preparing zoning verification and modification correspondence and answers public inquiries regarding zoning and subdivision issues.
- Advise the City Planner the Director of Planning and Zoning on planning matters.
- Attend professional development workshops and conferences to stay current with community development trends.
- Assist with seeking out planning and development methods and means to improve the quality of development and quality of life in the community.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED; and
- Bachelor’s degree in a course of study related to city planning, architecture, or engineering
- At least three (3) years of experience in the fields of municipal planning, zoning, and development review, ; GIS experience (highly preferred)
- Grant writing and management experience (preferred); and,
- Hold a valid Class B Georgia driver’s license
- Satisfy background screening.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and trends in planning, zoning, land use, and inspection.
- Skill in the use of a personal computer and word processing, spreadsheet, database, and GIS software packages.
- Skill in preparing and delivering public presentations as well as written communication; correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in the use of such office equipment as a calculator, copier, facsimile machine, and telephone.
- Ability to review site plans and subdivision plats.
- Ability to exercise sound and effective judgment within established guidelines.
- Ability be quickly become Knowledgeable of the City’s zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and complete duties to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with individuals contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to advertise, promote and perform public relations activities.
- Ability to perform under reasonable levels of stress and in emergency situations.
- Ability to assist with writing professional reports and make professional presentations with a clear command of the language and subject matter.
- Ability to accurately analyze situations and professionally respond as necessary with solutions to problems and alternative courses of action.
- Work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or standing for brief periods of time.
- Lift and carry objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds
Work is typically performed indoors in an office or business environment, with some exposure to the outside environment during site visits, inspections, or presentations and other associated events.
This position has a primary focus on providing superior customer service to the citizens and customers of the City of Fairburn in handling a variety of issues. Incumbents in this classification must maintain professionalism and courtesy when exposed to stressful situations and may be assigned complex projects requiring independence of thought, initiative, and implementation.
Salary & Benefits
COMPENSATION: Grade 20, range: 23.08/ $48,006.40 to 24.98/ $51,958.40
BENEFITS: Eligible for health and dental coverage, retirement plan, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, Deferred Compensation Plan, ten (10) paid holidays per year, ten (10) days annual leave per year and ten (10) days sick leave per year, and ancillary benefits.
STATUS: Fulltime exempt (not eligible for overtime pay).
SCHEDULE: Normal operating hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (schedule flexibility is available to accommodate needs of the City).
How to Apply
Should you have any questions, please contact Abril Montano in the HR Department at 770-964-2244 x111.