Chatham County Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission
The Chatham County–Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission (MPC) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Planner.
The purpose of this classification is to ensure compliance with the Zoning Ordinances and development regulations for City and County Historic Preservation, Site Plans, Land Use, Zoning Map and Text Amendments, Environmental Overlays and Special Exceptions (Variances). The successful candidate will perform complex analysis and make staff recommendations regarding areas of Historic Preservation and Current Planning. Planner will also work on special projects related to Coastal Resiliency and sustainable designs. The incumbents in this class handle the largest and most complex projects and have minimum of (3) three years of experience as a Planner with a governmental entity. Desired characteristics include, but are not limited to, the ability to perform independently once directed, and the ability to be cross trained in other planning disciplines.
- Participates in various preservation and development review and pre-development meetings to provide information and guidance; and provides professional and technical assistance and consultation with industry professionals and the public. Works in coordination with local government planning and city and county staff in preservation and development plan review.
- Prepares a wide variety of materials, reports, and documentation for public hearings, various meetings, and board presentations; provides presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups, and the public as directed.
- Evaluates and analyzes proposals and related data and information, evaluates zoning and best preservation practices to ensure compliance with applicable ordinances and related regulatory standards; identifies non-compliance and adverse impacts.
- Participates in preparation and administration of state and federal grants, and special studies as directed; gathers data; conducts research; and prepares and submits related applications, documentation, and reports.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Urban or Regional Planning, or a degree in a related field
- Two (2) years planning related experience with a government entity, which may include one (1) year of project management or supervisory experience; six (6) months of experience with a master’s degree; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties as listed.
- A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Proficiency in GIS, Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Suite software also required.
- Valid Driver’s License
Salary & Benefits
Medical, dental, vision and pension. 37.5 Hours per week. Reduced rate parking,
How to Apply
All resumes shall be submitted to the attention of: Pamela Everett, Assistant Executive Director, Compliance & Operations. Or mail to: 110 East State Street, Savannah, GA 31401.
Open until Filled.