City of Jasper, Georgia
Great opportunity for a motivated candidate that desires to work in all aspects of Planning. This is an entry level position with competitive pay. As a planner, you will learn the ins and outs of site plan review, permitting, erosion and sediment control, comprehensive planning and rural planning. Situated in Pickens Co, in the Mountains of North Georgia, the First Mountain City is booming with development. From hundreds of new residential units planned and big commercial names like Publix, we are booming with growth.
- Maintains a complete and thorough knowledge of the City’s Zoning, Land Development Ordinances and Erosion and Sediment Control for Georgia.
- Encourages and promotes a culture of excellent customer service. Answers phones; provides accurate information and assistance related to zoning and general land development processes; refers to appropriate personnel when necessary.
- Prepares responses to zoning verifications and performs verifications for occupational tax applications (business licenses).
- Assists in interpreting and communicating Zoning Ordinances and Land Development Ordinance requirements, processes and standards to the general public and the development community.
- Assists in processing and preparing staff reports related to re-zoning, conditional use permits, annexations, variances, special exceptions and appeals.
- Prepares and distributes Planning & Zoning Board agendas and packets; posts agendas and packets to the City website; e-mails agendas to media and attends meetings as required.
- Prepares meeting minutes are signed and recorded per City’s requirements.
- Prepares public hearing advertising notices and ensures publication.
- Reviews development plans, rezoning, variance and special use permit applications for completeness.
- Assists in development plan review tracking and reporting.
- Assists in research and drafting ordinance amendments.
- Assists in site, structural, energy, electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspections.
- Maintains and updates electronic and paper records in accordance with department retention policies.
- Assists in processing open records requests.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Development Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in planning or equivalent program of study with year of experience in planning. A combination of education and experience may be applied.
- Experience sufficient to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually interpreted to require one to three years of related experience.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Knowledge of development and planning principles and practices.
- Knowledge of permit processing and plan review requirements in the State of Georgia.
- Knowledge of development regulations concerning land use and environmental matters.
- Knowledge of or related experience and ability to learn GIS system.
- Knowledge of research, statistical analysis and report preparation principles.
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state and county laws, city ordinances and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe reader.
- Skill in maintenance of files and records.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning work.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in office management.
- Ability to perform a considerable volume of detailed work in a complex and disruptive environment.
Personal Work Relationships
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, elected and appointed officials, business owners, representatives of other governmental agencies, vendors, contractors, architects, engineers, builders and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, negotiate matters, resolve problems and provide services.
Physical Effort and Work Environment
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending. The employee occasionally lifts light objects and distinguishes between shades of color.
- Site Visits are required for inspections and/or development review.
- Guidelines include federal general codes and ordinances, land development regulations, state laws, Regional Commission guidelines, Water Planning District guidelines and Georgia Department of Transportation regulations. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
Complexity and Scope of Work
- The work consists of planning and administrative duties. Frequent interruptions contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide general support for the operations of the Planning and Development Department. Successful performance helps ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of those operations.
Salary & Benefits
$49,000 – $64,000 plus benefits. Please contact Stacy Johnson for more information 706.692.9100
How to Apply