City of Duluth
The City of Duluth, Georgia, (pop. 30,000) is accepting applications for the position of PLANNER/GIS SPECIALIST in the Department of Planning & Development.
This Planner position plays an instrumental role in the collaborative nature of the Planning and Development Department. The Planner/GIS Specialist will work closely with other planners, engineers, developers, elected officials, architects, design professionals, and citizens to design the neighborhoods, streetscapes, and public spaces that make the City of Duluth one of the most exceptional towns in Metro-Atlanta. This position participates in a variety of complex Community Development projects related to short- and long-range planning, comprehensive planning, land-use planning, transportation planning, economic development, graphic design and presentation, and Geographic Information Systems management.
Qualified applicants must have the ability to maintain the big picture goals of the City while creating and implementing detailed plans to achieve those goals. Qualified applicants should have experience in a studio-based environment that focuses on the interconnectedness of a variety of fields and professions surrounding planning and design. This position provides the unique opportunity to participate in all aspects of the planning and design process, from research and development to public participation and project implementation.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to researching, preparing studies and staff reports, preparing and delivering presentations, reviewing permit applications, managing land-use case files, and in general assisting City staff, developers, engineers, other related professionals as well as the general public with planning and zoning related questions. In addition to the above, this Planner position is responsible for graphic presentation for planning projects, participates on the Duluth Public Arts Commission, and performs additional tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, GIS, environmental design, public administration or related field from an accredited college or university required; Master’s degree in an appropriate field preferred.
- At least one year of professional experience in planning, GIS, community development, or related work.
- Experience in Esri products, Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office, and graphic design.
- Professional certification by the GIS Certification Institute as a Certified GIS Professional (GISP) or American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is especially preferred.
- Spoken/written fluency in a foreign language is beneficial, particularly Spanish, Korean, or Chinese.
- Must be able to work individually as well as with a team; and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience in Design Studio preferred.
Salary & Benefits
The hiring range is $50,648 – $55,396 annualized (paid bi-weekly, Grade 24), with starting salary based on qualifications. Visit our website for a full job description, job application, and list of benefits.
How to Apply
Job application, resume, and cover letter should be e-mailed, or delivered to:
City of Duluth
3167 Main Street
Duluth, GA 30096-3263