City of Duluth
This position is responsible for providing customer service, managing the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS) and assisting within the Department of Planning & Development on planning functions for the City of Duluth involving current planning and long range planning efforts. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to researching, preparing studies and staff reports, preparing and delivering presentations, reviewing applications and in general assisting City staff, developers, engineers, other related professionals as well as the general public with planning and zoning related questions and performs additional tasks as assigned.
- Manages the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS);
- Develops meeting notices, agendas, and informational packets for Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals; attends these meetings as required;
- Develops planning studies and reports in support of new and updated plans, programs and regulations;
- Assists with the City’s annual Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit report;
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepare reports and maps on topics such as census information, land use, tax base data, and occupancy rates;
- Conducts field evaluations and assessments;
- Assists in developing long range plans for neighborhoods (neighborhood planning);
- Develops strategies to promote economic and community development or efficient land use consistent with community goals;
- Attends regularly scheduled meetings as needed;
- Records and transcribes minutes;
- Prepares legal ads and notifies property owners;
- Accepts and processes applications for development reviews, plat reviews, zonings, variances, special uses, waivers, architectural review, and annexations;
- Accepts and processes building permit and sign permit applications; reviews applications for completeness; collects associated fees;
- Maintains a database of on-going construction and public infrastructure projects and/or problems;
- Communicates with applicants and the general public about permitting requirements and procedures
Any combination of experience, training, and education which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of the job will be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, GIS, architecture, environmental design or related field from an accredited college or university required; Master’s degree in an appropriate field preferred.
- Professional certification by the GIS Certification Institute as a Certified GIS Professional (GISP) or American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) are especially preferred.
- One or more years of professional-experience in planning, GIS, community development, or related work.
- Written and/or spoken fluency in a foreign language (particularly Spanish, Korean, or Chinese) is desirable.
Salary & Benefits
Hiring range is $47,757 – $51,682 annualized (paid bi-weekly, Grade 24), with starting salary based on qualifications. Visit our website for a full job description, job application, and list of benefits: www.duluthga.net/jobs
How to Apply
Job application, resume, and cover letter should be e-mailed or delivered to:
City of Duluth
3167 Main Street
Duluth, GA 30096-3263