Chatham County Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission
Description of Job / Position
This is an entry level professional urban planning and regulatory work including data collection, analysis and maintenance working under the direction of the Directors of Development Services and/or Historic Preservation. This work requires knowledge of general principles and practices of urban planning, which is usually gained through degree granting schools or equivalent training and experience. Contacts with others require skills in understanding and influencing people and are important in implementing urban planning projects, discussing and resolving work-related issues and problems, and presenting and defending recommendations and decisions. The work is semi-routine in that tasks are covered by procedures or precedents, but some latitude is permitted to consider the most appropriate method, technique or procedure to follow and involves differing situations requiring the use of judgment in searching for solutions or new applications within one’s known experience.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment though the employee may be required to make field visits to project sites in order to evaluate project or gather statistical data. Operates vehicles and standard office equipment including computer. The physical demands consist mainly of sitting at a work station for extended periods of time, occasionally lifting and moving light objects, and visiting field sites. The work is performed under general supervision where the work assignments are subject to established procedures and practices and is reviewed in progress and upon completion for adherence to proper procedures.
- Conducts field studies and interviews, collects data, conducts statistical research and analysis, and develops required reports.
- Prepares recommendations on comprehensive plan amendments, certificates of appropriateness, re-zoning, zoning and concurrency applications and/or other regulatory reviews.
- Assists in the preparation and update of all elements of the comprehensive plan and related and/or supported documents by collecting data, conducting research and drafting elements of the proposed plan.
- Provides technical assistance to customers and other employees.
- Performs professional land use, site plan, zoning and related planning reviews.
- Develops special land use and zoning statistics.
- Develops recommendations and reports to include spreadsheets, graphs and statistical analysis.
- Prepares plans and applications for grant funds.
- Compiles data and prepares reports and/or oral presentations.
- Prepares correspondence and technical reports as required.
- Maintains and updates special projects, maps, charts and related files.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of urban planning and regulatory techniques.
- Knowledge of analytical and statistical methods.
- Knowledge of local zoning codes, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Ability to research, collect and evaluate planning data and prepare written reports.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply planning-related laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment and use word processing, spreadsheet, database, and related software applications.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution which includes at least thirty (30) semester hours of college coursework in urban and regional planning, geography, landscape architecture, architecture, historic preservation, environmental science or closely related field.
- One year of professional planning experience may substitute for fifteen (15) semester hours required above.
- Proficiency in GIS, AutoCAD, and Adobe Suite software is preferred.
LICENSE/REGISTRATION/CERTIFICATION:GA Driver’s License is required prior to appointment and must be maintained.
Salary & Benefits
Entry level; salary commensurate with experience.
Medical, dental and pension.
How to Apply
Submit resume to Pamela Everett, Assistant Executive Director, Compliance and Operations