City of Milton
The City of Milton is looking for a highly qualified individual to serve as a Planner I in the Community Development Department. The Planner I position is an entry level planning position providing technical assistance within the Community Development department for current planning activities. This position handles day-to-day functions of building permit, land development permit, and plat review. This position works closely with the public and other departments within the City. Provides staff support to the Director of Community Development, Zoning Manager, Board of Zoning Appeals, Design Review Board, and Planning Commission.
Typical duties include:
- Provides information to the public regarding development regulations
- Assists in resolving citizen and customer issues
- Conducts Pre-Application meetings for upcoming land use applications
- Manages the legal requirements for various land use applications
- Evaluates or assists in the evaluation of rezoning, use permits, zoning modifications, ordinance amendments, primary variances, minor variances and other proposals
- Attends monthly evening meetings for Board of Zoning Appeals, Design Review Board and
- Planning Commission meetings as needed
- Reviews building permit, land development, plat applications for conformance with the zoning ordinance and approved development plans.
- Researches, writes and coordinates responses in preparing special projects as assigned
- Reviews and approves both permanent and temporary sign permits
- Responsible for assigning addresses for new developments
- Performs other related duties as required
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning
- Knowledge of zoning principals and land use is desired
- Knowledge of effective writing techniques
- Statistical, algebraic, or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, and GIS
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to explain rules and procedures clearly to the public
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to both existing and proposed conditions.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Urban Design or related field from an accredited college or university, with at least one year of planning experience, Master’s degree preferred. An equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Salary & Benefits
Type: Full Time
Salary/Pay Rate: Starting hourly rate $23.45 per hour. The position is considered non-exempt.
How to Apply
For prompt consideration, email your resume or mail to:
Human Resources Director
City of Milton
2006 Heritage Walk
Milton, GA 30004