Forsyth County Board of Commissioners
The Development Review Division is seeking an individual to provide technical review of land disturbance permits, as-builts and plats for compliance with county codes and ordinances. This requires working independently and as part of a team to provide a high level of review, research, analysis and communication with a variety of stakeholders including government boards, developers, architects, engineers and the public.
Forsyth County, Georgia, is located 25 miles north of Atlanta with a population just over 250,000. The county has been one of the fastest growing counties in the nation and draws new residents through proximity to multiple job centers, an excellent public school system and a strong network of public parks as well as a robust housing market. Forsyth County borders Lake Sidney Lanier and is ideally located between Atlanta and the Blue Ridge mountains of North Georgia, which provides recreational opportunities throughout the year.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Utilizes discretionary authority to interpret and apply County codes, comprehensive plan, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to zoning, land use, and site development; researches code-related issues in code books as needed; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations.
- Provides information and technical assistance to citizens, property owners, land developers, contractors, architects, staff members, County officials, or other individuals/agencies regarding planning/zoning issues, land use issues, codes/ordinances, land development review procedures, site plan reviews, permits, fees, or other issues; responds to routine questions or complaints; researches problems and initiates problem resolution; assists the public with various issues.
- Conducts review of land disturbance permit applications (LDPs) for commercial/industrial and residential developments and major/minor subdivisions, subdivision plats, architectural drawings, site plans, grading plans, elevations, legal descriptions, surveys, or other documentation for proposed projects; reviews development plans for new lots; reviews as-built drawings for certificates of occupancy, reviews applications for appeals/variances; analyses regional/local impact of proposed development on factors such as traffic patterns, drainage conditions, or the environment; meets with applicant, agents, or other parties as needed.
- Determines whether proposed development complies with County codes/ordinances; prepares staff technical reviews, technical analyses, recommendations, and comments regarding proposed projects for submission to Planning Commission, Board of Commissioners, applicants, or other personnel as appropriate; approves major and minor subdivision plats for recording as legal document.
- Conducts/attends various meetings; attends plan review meetings with architects, engineers, contractors, builders, property owners, and the public; prepares visual graphics materials for presentations at meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or closely related field;
- Three (3) years previous experience and/or training involving urban planning, local/regional land use, zoning, land development plan review, site plan review, and personal computer operations; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- A Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or closely related field and/or American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification is encouraged.
Salary & Benefits
$52,645.00 – $69,755.00 Annually
BENEFITS PROVIDED BY FORSYTH COUNTY TO FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES:
- Personal Leave Accrual
0 – 4 Years – 20 days per year – 6.16 hours per pay period
5 – 14 Years – 25 days per year – 7.70 hours per pay period
15+Years – 30 days per year – 9.24 hours per pay period
- Observed Holidays
- New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day,
- Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving (2), and Christmas (2).
- Medical Insurance
The Forsyth County Board of Commissioners offers employees a choice of two medical plans offered by Aetna and a plan offered by Kaiser Permanente.
Aetna Choice POS II – $2000 Individual Deductible (Basic Plan)
Aetna Choice POS II – $1000 Individual Deductible (Plus Plan)
Kaiser Permanente HMO- $0 Individual Deductible
- Dental Insurance
The Forsyth County Board of Commissioners offers two dental plans from Delta Dental:
Base $1,000 Plan
Buy-Up $1,500 Plan
- Vision Insurance
The vision plan offered by Forsyth County Board of Commissioners is administered by Aetna and will offer office visit copays for exams, as well as copays for lenses, frames, and contacts.
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
The Forsyth County Board of Commissioners recognizes the importance of basic life insurance for all of its employees. The Board provides term life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) protection for each full-time employee. This is a County-paid benefit.
- Disability Insurance – Short Term and Long Term
100% paid by Forsyth County. Eligibility begins date of hire.
- Short Term Disability – 60% of weekly earnings to a maximum of $1,000.00 a week. Eligibility begins 14 days after an accident or sickness and has a benefit period of 24 weeks.
- Long Term Disability – 60% of monthly earnings to a maximum of $5,000.00 a month. Eligibility begins at 26 weeks to coordinate with the end of Short Term benefits and continues 24 months (Own Occupation).
- Additional Life Insurance and AD&D
Rates vary based on amount of coverage selected. Additional life insurance may be purchased for employee, spouse, and children.
- Retirement Plan (401K)
Fully vested at five years of employment – 20% graduated vesting annually. Eligible to begin contributions immediately upon hire.
6 mos to 3 yrs – County matches 100% of a max 5% of employee gross contributions
3 yrs to 10 yrs – County contributes 5% of base salary & County matches 100% of a max of 5% of gross employee contributions
Over 10 yrs – County contributes 5% base & County matches 100% of a max of 5% of gross employee contributions & County matches 50% of next 5% of gross employee contributions
How to Apply