Gwinnett County Planning and Development
Gwinnett County, historically one of America’s fastest-growing counties, and now one of the nation’s most diverse is looking to hire a Planner III for our Planning and Development Department. Gwinnett County combines the best of big-city and suburban living and is located approximately 30 miles northeast of Atlanta, Georgia. With a 2019 estimated population of 936,250 residents and an anticipated 2040 population of more than 1.3 million, Gwinnett County is currently the second largest county in the state.
The Gwinnett County Planning and Development Department includes three divisions: The Administrative Division; the Development Division and the Planning Division. With approximately 120 employees the Department provides services related to planning, zoning, development, permits, licenses, inspections, and code enforcement. The mission of the Department is to plan, preserve, and build a healthy community through continuous engagement and superior customer service. The Department accomplishes this mission through programs and services that encourage high quality development as well as maintenance and revitalization of existing neighborhoods.
The available Planner III position is within the Department’s Planning Division which manages current planning, long-range planning, and planning data services for the County. Long-range planning activities include master planning, community education and other special projects. Current planning activities include zoning administration, maintaining the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), supporting the Planning Commission and related tasks. Planning data services activities include creating and maintaining GIS data, producing maps and other special projects.
This position reports to the Planning Manager and is responsible for the following job duties:
Serves as backup point of contact to Planner I and Planner II for customer service needs;
Serves as team lead for Planner I and Planner II positions and fulfills the role of Planning Manager, as needed:
- Prepares staff case reports for the Planning Commission and Board of Commissioners;
- Manages Pre-application meetings for zoning related applications;
- Coordinates closely with the Plan Review Division on reviewing land development plans;
- Represents the Department at Atlanta Regional Commission and Community Improvement District (CID) meetings and events;
- Communicates with other County Departments and outside agencies;
- Attends meetings with residents, developers, design professionals and others;
- Attends Planning Commission and Board of Commissioner public hearings;
- Completes site visits for zoning-related applications;
- Completes other special projects including master planning, research and analysis of planning and zoning-related topics; community engagement and education and others; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Architecture, or related field;
- Two years of planning experience, or an equivalent combination of education; and
- Experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job as listed above.
- Master’s Degree in Planning, or related field;
- Three years of planning experience;
- Experience working in a city or county planning department; and
- AICP Certification or desire to pursue certification.
Salary & Benefits
$62,734 – $83,123
How to Apply