DeKalb County Government
The purpose of this classification is to perform planning, zoning, code enforcement and other development activities for the County.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Leads and coordinates daily work activities of assigned crew or co-workers; confers with supervisor to obtain direction regarding work assignments and priorities; organizes tasks in order to complete assigned work; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; confers with co-workers, assists with complex/problem situations, and provides technical expertise; assists with training and instructing co-workers regarding operational procedures and proper use of equipment; and assists with supervision of co-workers by reporting employee problems and providing input on disciplinary action and employee performance evaluations.
- Receives and responds to customer inquiries regarding zoning issues; researches zoning issues regarding non-conforming land uses, zoning interpretations, and previous development and zoning history; and examines and creates lists of properties being rezoned which require notification of adjacent and nearby property owners; and constructs public hearing signs and posts them on subject properties.
- Reviews building permits to ensure compliance with zoning regulations including land use and parking compliance; serves as staff resource planner for Community Council District public meetings; and answers questions from the council relating to zoning regulations, procedures, and processes.
- Composes staff reports and recommendations on zonings cases to the Board of Commissioners and the Planning Commission; includes interdepartmental comments, applicant information, aerial photos, building elevations, site plans, future land use plan, and zoning maps.
- Receives applications for rezoning, special land use permits, text amendments, and modifications of zoning conditions applications at the front counter; verifies completeness of applications; inputs data into departmental database.
- Interprets and applies applicable local, state, and federal, codes, ordinances, regulations, standards, specifications, policies and procedures pertaining to planning, zoning, land development and land use; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public Administration or a related field required;
- Two years of experience in planning, zoning, and project management; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range: $52,815 – $81,862
How to Apply