Atlanta Regional Commission
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the regional planning and intergovernmental coordination agency that focuses on issues critical to the region’s success, including growth and development, transportation, water resources, services for older adults and workforce solutions. ARC is dedicated to unifying the region’s collective resources to prepare the metropolitan area for a prosperous future. This is done through professional planning initiatives, the provision of objective information and the involvement of the community in collaborative partnerships.
The Atlanta Regional Commission is looking for a professional Senior Planner to provide support for regional transportation planning within ARC’s Transportation Planning Department, which functions as the Atlanta region’s federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). This individual will provide professional planning support to initiatives in a variety of planning practice areas, including active modes, transportation equity, infrastructure resiliency, transit-oriented development, micro-mobility and transit, transportation technology and electrification, freight and logistics, and land use and transportation coordination.
The Senior Planner will manage LCI and transportation planning studies, provide technical assistance to local planners, assist with funding application processes, and work on other regional and modal plans, including the Regional Trails Vision. They will also assist program managers and senior staff with presentations, meeting preparation, stakeholder outreach and agency coordination, research and writing of planning documents, data analysis (including geo-spatial), and development and/or maintenance of web maps, facility inventories and website(s). Other projects and tasks will be assigned as required.
This position will report to the Planning Coordinator on the Regional Planning and External Coordination team. Please note that some meetings are outside of the normal hours of business operations to include evening and weekend meetings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support regional transportation programs such as, LCI program implementation, including development of scopes of work, invoice processing and grant administration process, Regional Trails Vision updates and coordination with the Regional Trails Task Force, as well as other regional planning initiatives;
- Conducts research, data collection and analysis, including geospatial and web-based applications for public consumption;
- Facilitates stakeholder processes and task force meetings including handling all meeting preparations, develop agendas, coordinating speakers, and collecting input;
- Prepares original documents and written materials including reports, newsletters, content and/or formatting for regional plans, and presenting technical information;
- Prepares and updates digital media including data visualizations, maps, and web content;
- Conducts meetings and presents on ARC programs and projects to various stakeholders, such as: local governments, federal and state agencies, ARC Committees, and presenting at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support agency goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of urban and regional planning, particularly multi-modal transportation planning;
- Knowledge of technically advanced analyses within the transportation field;
- Understanding of land use and transportation policies and how they impact people and communities;
- Knowledge and understanding of what constitutes inclusive and equitable community engagement;
- Ability to manage projects and work effectively independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of stakeholders, e.g. elected officials, senior staff, the public;
- Possess strong problem-solving, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to develop and give presentations to a variety of Boards and Committees;
- Proficiency in standard office software required; and skills in ArcGIS, Adobe InDesign, PowerBI and WordPress desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, economics, architecture, landscape architecture or related field
- Two (2) years of professional urban planning experience which may include internship
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
- Master’s degree in transportation planning, urban or regional planning, public policy or administration, or related field
- Five (5) years professional transportation planning experience
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: In addition to the detailed examples of responsibilities and abilities contained herein, all employees of the Atlanta Regional Commission are expected to model behavior consistent with the guiding principles outlined in our Evolution Strategy. Specifically, incumbents are responsible for demonstrating work habits that are:
- Interdisciplinary by promoting professional and interpersonal connections and integration across functional disciplines;
- Holistic by seeking expertise within the team, Division, or Agency to produce his/her work output, and demonstrating a strong understanding of and support for interrelationships between their work and the work of others in the team, Division, or Agency;
- Actionable by continuously striving to improve his/her capabilities to produce sustainable outcomes, and displaying a strong need for achievement and a high energy level to attain goals;
- Outcome Based by taking the initiative to meet goals and expectations, and consistently striving to produce tangible results with significant visible impact, and;
- Targeted toward Ensuring Colleagues’ Success by willingly and deliberately providing his/her expertise to others in an effort to build and sustain effective internal and external working relationships, and by modeling behaviors that consistently demonstrate concern for colleagues’ success, needs, respect, trust, and integrity.
Salary & Benefits
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $57,058 – $96,997
(no SS deductions except for Medicare portion, approx. 1.45% of salary)
How to Apply