Planning Deputy Director
Gwinnett County Government
The Planning Division is responsible for long-range planning, zoning administration, and GIS mapping. The division prepares and presents staff findings, including written case reports and recommendations, to the Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Commission, and Board of Commissioners. The division also manages local area planning and community engagement initiatives. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Planning and Plan Review Divisions, as well as acting as the third-in-command in the absence of the Director and Assistant Director. The Deputy Director will work with the Board of Commissioners, County Administration, and various committees and task forces, communicating with developers, designers, contractors, the public, and various governmental agencies. The ideal candidate will have skills in problem solving, multi-tasking, adapting to rapidly changing environments, negotiating, communicating, managing, mentoring, collaboration, and team building.
- Provides managerial and supervisory support and staff evaluation to Division Directors.
- Collaborates with the senior members of the Department and supervise Division Directors responsible for departmental operations.
- Directs the day-to-day activities of the sections and divisions of the Department which includes planning, coordinating, administering and evaluating programs, projects, processes, procedures, systems, standards and services; ensuring compliance with Federal, State and local laws, regulations and codes as well as County policies and procedures.
- The successful candidate will perform key activities to include problem solving, managing and executing multiple tasks, adapting to rapidly changing environments, negotiating, communication, ability to manage and mentor, and collaboration and team building.
- This position will act as the third in command in the absence of the Director and Assistant Director, and may speak on their behalf as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in in Urban Planning or closely related field
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience related to the area of assignment, including two years at the Division Director level
- Or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or related field (Preferred)
- Four years in upper management/supervisory experience (Preferred)
- Local government planning experience (Preferred)
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification (Preferred)
How to Apply