Gwinnett County Government
This position is one of two Deputy Division Director positions within the Planning and Economic Development Division. This newly created Division manages major economic development initiatives, supports small businesses, maintains Gwinnett’s 2040 Unified Plan, creates, and implements master plans, and provides support to the County’s existing neighborhoods through community-based planning and outreach efforts. This Deputy Division Director provides strategic leadership and direction to the Division’s Community Planning and Outreach and Long-Range Planning Sections. This position supports the Division Director by overseeing and leading strategic planning initiatives, collaborating with various stakeholders, including government officials, community members, and other relevant organizations, and ensuring the efficient and sustainable growth and development through the implementation of comprehensive planning strategies and policies.
- Leads and manages a team of planning professionals, provides guidance to ensure the successful execution of projects and initiatives, compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, and alignment with Gwinnett County’s vision and goals for all planning activities.
- Facilitates public engagement activities, such as community meetings and workshops, to gather input and promote transparency in the planning process.
- Coordinates with stakeholders to gather input on planning initiatives and conducting analysis of demographic, housing, and environmental data to make informed planning decisions and policies.
- Oversees the preparation and presentation of reports, studies, and recommendations to government officials and community members.
- Manages the Gwinnett Neighborhood Services Program and related Place-Making Grant Program.
- Maintains a close relationship with partner organizations such as Commercial Improvement Districts (CID’s), Municipal Planning Departments, the Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC), and other organizations.
- Represents the County on the ARC’s Land Use Coordinating Committee (LUCC).
Applies for funding to develop new Livable Centers Initiative (LCI) plans through the ARC and manages updates and implementation of existing LCI plans.
- Develops and updates community master plans for Gwinnett’s 30 plus unincorporated communities.
- Collaborates with relevant departments to ensure the integration of planning initiatives with other government functions, such as transportation, housing, and infrastructure development.
- Remains current with industry trends and government policies that may impact planning efforts.
- Provides managerial and supervisory support, staff evaluation, and budget preparation for the division.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or a closely related field
- Eight years of progressively responsible experience related to the area of assignment, including two years’ experience as a manager
- or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above
- (Preferred) Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or a related field
- (Preferred) Four years’ experience as a manager
- (Preferred) Strong knowledge of urban planning principles, practices, and regulations
- (Preferred) Familiarity with local government operations and policies
- (Preferred) AICP Certification or desire to acquire within 12 months
Salary & Benefits
$92,236.00 – $108,377.00 Annually DOQ
How to Apply