Lancaster County Planning Department
Lancaster, South Carolina
Under very limited supervision, ensures that all planning and zoning activities performed for the County and assigned municipalities are conducted in a fair manner compliant with state law and general planning and zoning principles. Plans, directs, and supervises the daily operations of the Planning and Zoning Department which involves processing rezoning, text amendment, and subdivision applications, long term planning, and ensuring zoning compliance. Identifies current problems and future needs, considers the desired growth of each region, develops policies, goals, objectives, regulations, and plans to achieve these planning needs, and is responsible for updating and making recommendations for changes to the comprehensive plan and unified development ordinance for the County and assigned municipalities. Reports to the Development Services Director.
- Plans, directs, administers, and supervises the daily operations of the Department, ensuring the effective and efficient delivery of all planning and zoning services to the County and assigned municipalities. Ensures the goals of the comprehensive plan, strategic plan, and other area plans are met. Ensures departmental compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Has knowledge of the principles of personnel management, including supervision, training, and performance evaluation. Supervises departmental planning and zoning, reviews the work of others and acts on employee issues, including promotions, transfers, or discipline. Offers training, advice, and assistance where needed.
- Attends Council, Commission and Board meetings. Makes various presentations to Councils, Commissions, Boards, neighborhood groups and civic groups.
- Assists and provides technical information to the Lancaster County Public Works, Building, and Stormwater Departments with various issues as it related to the interpretation of the Unified Development Ordinance, development of the ordinance, and questions regarding enforcement.
- Participates in the preparation, assembly, and distribution of agenda packets for the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeal.
- Participates in the technical review process with other departments within the County and with outside State agencies.
- Has knowledge of the principles of budgeting and finance. Prepares and submits departmental budget for approval. Monitors departmental budget ensuring expenditures are within budgetary guidelines and requisitions are properly submitted for approval.
- Acts as liaison to non-profit organizations and regional planning agencies such as Rock Hill/Fort Mill Area Transportation Study, Catawba Regional Council of Government, etc. or assigns these roles to staff.
- Provides training for the Planning Commission and/or Board of Zoning Appeals where needed.
- Has knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and ArcGIS.
- Has effective and persuasive leadership and is comfortable with all levels of staff, public and others.
- Performs administrative duties such as answering calls, copying documents, researching files, preparing, installing, and picking up public hearing signs, writing receipts, and assisting the Clerk to Council in preparing Council’s agenda.
- Operates a motor vehicle and a variety of equipment, including a computer, monitor, telephone, calculator, copier, scanner, digital recording equipment, engineers scale, architect’s scale, a measuring wheel, measuring tape/rope, and a compass.
- Has strong written and oral communication skills, including the editing, oversight or preparation of technical reports, and the presentation of information to government entities and various committees.
- Must have strong organizational, problem solving and negotiation skills. And must have the ability to exercise sound and independent judgement within general policy guidelines.
Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning and development, urban design, public administration or related field.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in planning, urban design, public administration, or related field.
ALTERNATIVE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- With a Master’s degree: Six or more years in planning with experience in writing, preparing recommendations, public speaking, long range planning activities, and supervision.
- With a Bachelor’s degree: Eight or more years in planning with experience in writing, preparing recommendations, public speaking, long range planning activities, and at least two years in a supervisory role.
- Without a relevant degree: Ten or more years in planning with experience in writing, preparing recommendations, public speaking, long range planning activities; at least two years in a supervisory role; and AICP certification.
For salary above the entry level, AICP Certification is required. Additional certifications (such as CFM or PE) are also considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range: $81,627- $96,033
Standard SC benefits package
How to Apply