Gwinnett County Government
The function of Gwinnett County Department of Planning and Development is to promote and enhance the quality of life of residents, visitors, property owners and businesses of Gwinnett County. The Department accomplishes its mission through programs and services that encourage high quality development as well as maintenance and revitalization of existing neighborhoods. The Department consists of the Administration Division, Planning Division, and the Development Division. The Planning Division is responsible for current planning, long-range planning, and planning data services. Current planning activities include zoning administration, maintaining the Unified Development Ordinance, supporting the Planning Commission and related tasks. Long-range planning activities include master planning, community education and other special projects. Planning data services activities include creating and maintaining GIS data, producing maps and other special projects.
As a Planning Manager position assigned to the Planning Division, you will report directly to the Planning Division Director and be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the division to include activities related to current planning and customer service; ensuring all deadlines and procedures are met related to variances, appeals of administrative decisions, and related requests; and reviewing and approving staff case reports for the Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Managing and supervising Planning Division staff
- Reviewing and approving staff case reports for the Zoning Board of Appeals
- Managing the Development Advisory Committee
- Ensuring annexation requests are processed in a timely manner
- Communicating with other departments and outside agencies
- Attending meetings with residents, developers, design professionals and others
- Completing site visits for zoning-related applications
- Conducting other special projects including master planning, research, and analysis of planning and zoning-related topics; community engagement; and education
- Public speaking duties include: Attending and presenting to the Zoning Board of Appeals public hearings
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration, landscape architecture, or related field*
- Five years of planning experience*
- Two years of supervisory experience
- Valid driver’s license
*An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job as listed above will also be considered.
- Master’s degree in planning, public administration, landscape architecture, or related field
Local government planning experience
- Previous supervisory experience
Salary & Benefits
Salary range: $72,817.00 – $84,650.00 Annually
How to Apply