Planning Support Specialist
Unified Government of Athens-Clarke County
The purpose of this job is to research and prepare information related to current planning and zoning services provided by the Planning Development Services Division or Leisure Services Park Planning Division. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting the public by answering questions, researching issues, and providing information to elected officials, members of appointed bodies, other Athens-Clarke County Staff, Planning Department/Leisure Services Department customers, and the general public, and performing additional tasks as assigned.
Job Related Requirements
- WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with some after-hours events and/or meetings.
- May be required to work on religious holidays.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Must work cooperatively with others.
- When requirements include vehicle operation, responsible for the safety, readiness and operation of the vehicle and must abide by ACC’s safe driving policy.
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Reviews site plans and prepares comments for the Development Review Process.
- Assists in the administration of the Unified Government’s zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations; conducts research on various issues related to zoning or development regulations.
- Explains zoning, sign, historic preservation, and development regulation requirements for developments and land use to applicants, government officials, and the general public.
- Provides information to other Planning Staff on plan review and site conditions; conducts site plan review.
- Assists in the review and preparation of reports regarding variances, subdivisions, appeals of interpretation of design review, and planned development concepts for the development review process.
- Prepares zoning verification correspondence and answers public inquiries regarding zoning and subdivision issues.
- Reviews and processes Manufactured Home Permits, Home Occupation Permits, Alcohol License Applications, and Building Permits.
- Prepares legal advertisements for public hearings in accordance with the Athens-Clarke County zoning ordinance.
- Assists Planning Staff in the preparation of special reports and presentations as needed.
Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with experience, knowledge and a level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in Transportation Planning, Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Historic Planning, Recreation Planning, or a related field, such as landscape architecture required; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS, AutoCAD, and Adobe Suite software is preferred.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply
First review of applications May 31, 2022