City of Savannah
This position serves as a liaison to the public by providing technical assistance, facilitating property and business development, coordinating with code enforcement officials on compliance issues and educating the public on zoning requirements and development standards as provided in City Code.
Essential Job Functions
- Reviews and enforces land use regulations and development standards as defined by the City Zoning Ordinance.
- Reads and interprets the zoning map and ordinance; advises and instructs builders, contractors, architects, attorneys, engineers, the general public, and other government personnel to ensure compliance.
- Answers inquiries from customers by letter, telephone, and in person; resolves citizens’ complaints and problems within the legal and policy guidelines of the department; handles more difficult customer complaints.
- Prepares zoning confirmation letters and answers zoning information requests; prepares analysis of encroachment permits and alcoholic beverage license permits.
- Supports the review of building, sign, demolition and other permit requests to ensure compliance with Federal and State regulations as well as land use and development standards as outlined in City Code; supports the review of business location approvals.
- Prepares analysis of annexations, map and text amendments, special uses, and variances.
- Advises clients on the status of site development and construction plans and specifications; represents clients to city departments as internal ombudsman.
- Provides information and direction for site development; serves as a liaison among developers, design staff, and city departments.
- Prepares and presents informational programs to public and private groups.
- Collaborates with other city departments and city personnel on various projects.
- Develops code amendments including justifications for proposed modifications.
- Investigates complaints from customers and implements corrective action as needed; maintains sound public relations with customers.
- Prepares Council agenda items related to zoning hearings, public hearings, resolutions, 1st and 2nd readings, and annexations; provides information for map and text amendments; receives Zoning Board of Appeals and Metropolitan Planning Commission requests and prepares notices and signs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, public administration or related field; with two (2) years of experience in zoning or examining building or construction plans; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Requires International Code Council (ICC) Zoning Inspector Certification. Prefer AICP certification.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state driver’s license with an acceptable driving history.
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Knowledge of the City Zoning Ordinance.
- Knowledge of the tools and techniques used in plan review.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and other modern office equipment.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in the operation of computers and other modern office equipment.
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Salary & Benefits
$43,322.00 – $67,192.00
CITY OF SAVANNAH EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
- Paid Holiday
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Sick Leave
- Defined Benefit Retirement Pension Plan
- Protective Services Retirement Plan (select positions)
- Deferred Compensation Retirement Plan
- Retirement Seminars
- PPO Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Wellness Programs
- Health & Wellness Incentives
- Long Term Disability
- Excellence and Service Recognition
- Employee Development and In-Service Training
- Educational Assistance Program
- Uniform Allowance (select positions)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounts and Memberships
- Employee Relations
- Direct Deposit
- Credit Union
- Pretax Parking Deductions
- Employer Assisted Home Purchase Program
- Domestic Partnership Benefits
- PPO Medical Plus Plan
- PPO Medical Basic Plan
- Dental Plus Plan
- Dental Basic Plan
- Vision Service Plan
- Basic Life and ADD
- Supplemental Life Employee
- Supplemental Life Spouse
- Supplemental Life Child
Benefits costs are paid by the City of Savannah, by the employee or shared by both the City and the employee.
How to Apply