City of Savannah
This position performs field inspections, enforces the City’s Zoning Ordinances, and participates in the review of construction plans to ensure compliance with zoning ordinances.
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews building, sign, demolition, and permit requests for conformance with the zoning code.
- Reads and interprets zoning maps / ordinances; advises and instructs builders, contractors, architects, attorneys, engineers, the general public, and other government personnel regarding zoning requirements.
- Answers inquiries from customers by letter, telephone, and in person; resolves citizens’ complaints and problems within the legal and policy guidelines of the department.
- Advises clients on the status of site development and construction plans and specifications.
- Provides information and direction for site development; serves as a liaison among developers, design staff, and various city departments.
- Prepares and presents informational programs to public and private groups.
- Works with other city departments and city personnel to organize and coordinate events, programs, and projects.
- Prepares written reports to citizens with requests and complaints; compiles regular reports.
Investigates complaints from customers and implements corrective action as needed; maintains sound public relations with customers.
- Provides information for map and text amendments; receives Zoning Board of Appeals requests and prepares notices and signs; attends Zoning Board of Appeals and MPC meetings.
- Reviews building plans / signs permit applications; reviews and evaluates business licenses applicants’ requests for zoning compliance; reviews and approves beverage license applications and certificate of occupancy permits.
- Enforces the design standards and provisions for the preservation and protection of historic buildings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or GED equivalent and two (2) years of experience in zoning or related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Requires Georgia Zoning and Property Standards Inspector Certification within 6 months of employment.
Must possess and maintain a valid state driver’s license with an acceptable driving history.
Additional Requirements: Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply