UrbanTrans North America
UrbanTrans North America specializes in innovative transportation solutions. We are a woman-operated and -owned transportation consulting firm with offices in Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA; and Toronto, ON.
We focus on multi-modal transportation planning, transportation demand management (TDM) programs, strategic planning, stakeholder outreach, complete marketing services, and TDM program implementation. Our mission is to create sustainable environments by developing and advancing innovative transportation solutions. We believe that increasing the availability and viability of convenient transportation choices for all travelers benefits communities, employers, developers, and citizens by reducing transportation infrastructure spending, alleviating congestion, and improving air quality.
UrbanTrans provides a range of planning, program management, and marketing services to a diverse clientele across North America, including local, regional, and state governments; developers; property managers; non-profits; and large employers.
UrbanTrans is seeking a self-starter and dynamic individual who can help us build our public involvement practice. Our projects require an individual who is passionate about engaging a wide array of audiences in transportation planning projects and occasional marketing interventions, with a solid understanding of how to reach communities that often do not have a voice in traditional TDM projects. We are looking for someone who can start our public involvement division from the ground up, all while executing projects.
Primary responsibilities will include:
Building our firm’s public involvement practice over time:
- Working with senior UrbanTrans staff to identify projects for the public involvement team to lead
- Building and training a team of public involvement professionals, both from within the firm and new hires
- Identify key locations where staff are needed outside of Atlanta
Conducting all aspects of planning and implementing public involvement activities, including:
- Developing highly effective engagement strategies specific to each planning project or marketing intervention, including both in-person and digital outreach and engagement plans
- Showcasing an understanding of varied stakeholder and community needs and innovative public outreach activities tailored to each of the audiences
- Measuring and reporting analytics on the performance of the public involvement tactics
Refining and executing an innovative, comprehensive, high-impact outreach strategy to under-resourced communities and vulnerable populations
- Designing an inclusive community involvement approach that ensures the people most affected and most marginalized, especially those who have been historically left out of conversations (e.g., low-income people, returning citizens, communities of color, recent immigrants, speakers of English as a second language) are heard and supported
- Managing and overseeing relationships with other organizations focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion in the transportation profession
Supporting planning projects through preparing all needed public outreach materials and coordinating public outreach activities, including:
- Explaining technical and sometimes complex information both in person and in written communications materials so all audiences understand
- Planning and leading virtual and in-person public meetings, neighborhood and/or community meetings, workshops, and discussion groups
- Representing clients at community and public events
- Understanding when regulatory notices are required
- Seeking and responding to comments from stakeholders and the public, as well as maintaining official records of feedback
Leading the strategy for how to use varied marketing and communications media, including traditional, digital, mobile, and automated marketing solutions
- Creating, publishing, and distributing digital content for targeted audiences
- Overseeing the development of strategies and managing multiple digital engagement channels, including websites, social media, and other interactive tools.
- Building and maintaining contact databases and audience segments
Recommending proactive media strategies and implementing media relations activities, including building strategic relationships with reporters to profile specific initiatives, identifying opportunities for appropriate media coverage, and coordinating press releases and media pitches.
This role will be best suited for somebody who:
- Genuinely loves working with people
- Is comfortable speaking in public and facilitating meetings
- Knows how to reach a diverse group of people and get them talking about TDM and other transportation projects
- Thrives when working with others and does not hesitate to pitch in or step up as a leader when called on
- Can handle multiple projects, deadlines, and demands on their time
- Is a hands-on contributor
- Is a self-starter and has a desire to build a practice and team within UrbanTran
- Has a desire to affect the community, region, and environment positively
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, written, and interpersonal
- Facilitation skills
- Experience creating messages for different audiences and varying mediums, including emails, press releases, websites, SMS, and more
- Experience with coordinating stakeholder engagement, public relations, and media outreach for local and regional publications
- Proven ability to lead conversations with broad audiences and navigate crucial conversations regarding underrepresented communities, privilege, and equity
- Experience contributing to teams of all sizes
- Experience with building and maintaining strong relationships with colleagues, clients, and partners
- Showcase knowledge or experience with digital public engagement tools and platforms
- CRMs or contact database
- Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Analytics platforms and dashboards (e.g., Google Analytics or similar)
- Strong skills in organizing, prioritizing, and producing several tasks concurrently
- Experience with building and maintaining timelines and budgets and leading a team
- Demonstrated quality control and quality assurance through project deliverables
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, public policy, marketing, communications, journalism, or related field; and
- Five or more years of relevant full-time professional experience
- Completion or commitment to complete the professional designation available to IAP2 members. (Certification proves, through independent assessment, that you have demonstrated the basic knowledge and skills required to perform the role of public participation (P2) professional).
- Understanding that public outreach can sometimes include working evenings and weekends
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledgeable (or highly curious) about behavior change, sustainability, transportation, TDM, city planning, community development, and economic development
- Experience working for an agency, consulting firm, or similar multi-client environment
- Project management software experience (e.g., Asana, Wrike, and Basecamp)
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range: $75,000 – $95,000 per year.
Full Benefits Package includes Health, Vision, Dental, 401k w/ employer match, PTO, parental leave, and employer-paid ongoing education.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to Andy Knauer.