Columbus Consolidated Government
- Review and process applications for zoning changes, special exception uses, variances and subdivision plats.
- Prepare staff reports; serve as Secretary for the Planning Advisory Commission.
- Review and interpret overlay and special zoning guidelines; answer zoning inquiries.
- Provide assistance to other staff regarding zoning and land development.
- Research and draft ordinance amendments and development of a new comprehensive plan.
- Meet with citizens, developers, design professionals and city staff; conduct presentations to the various boards and the City Council
- Improve operations and work processes to provide continuous improvement and customer-driven service.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations related to zoning and subdivision administration.
- Knowledge of the zoning and subdivision processes.
- Skill in effective communication, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in leadership.
- Ability to prepare and present reports.
- Ability to prepare and write zoning and/or planning ordinances.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university in Planning, Public Administration, Geography or other related field is required.
- Master’s degree in Planning preferred;
- Three to five years of progressively responsible related experience; or any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Salary & Benefits
The Columbus Consolidated Government is proud to offer an exceptional compensation and benefits package. Benefits include the following:
- Low-cost Medical Insurance
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Credit Union
- Direct Deposit
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- PERK Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Plan
- Free and Discounted Services
- Employee Assistance Program
Take advantage of these free and discounted City Services offered to all City Employees.
- Discounted Movie Tickets
- Free Notary Services
- Ride a Metra Bus for Free
- Free Mulch
- Free Fire/Safety Home Inspection
- Sunray Cleaners discounts
- Adopt a pet for Free from Animal Control
- Driver’s Training for Employee Dependents
- Oxbow/Bull Creek Golf Course discounts
- River Center Discounts
- Cell Phone Carrier Discounts
The Columbus Consolidated Government offers a defined benefit retirement plan to eligible employees who work in General Government and in Public Safety. Employees in the pension plan must meet both age and years of service requirements to qualify for retirement. The current vesting period is ten years, and the current pension contribution rate is 8% of your gross salary.
Supplemental Retirement Plan
The Columbus Consolidated Government offers a Deferred Compensation Plan or supplemental retirement plan that is tax deferred. This plan allows employees to contribute a portion of their salary, before federal and state taxes, to a retirement account. Your compensation is more than a paycheck, it allows you to plan for your financial future as well.
How to Apply