The Chatham County – Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission
The Principal Transportation Planner will be responsible for developing and updating the Congestion Management Process, coordinating with the state DOT in updating and maintaining the Travel Demand Model, coordinating with the various state and local agencies in implementing Intelligent Transportation System projects, assisting with reviewing Traffic Impact Analysis, managing special studies as needed, and assisting in developing and carrying out the overall 3-C Metropolitan Transportation Planning Process.
The Principal Planner will provide support to the Coastal Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Board and the Advisory Committees, advise, and support the MPC Board regarding transportation impacts of development proposals, and coordinate efforts of the CORE MPO with the MPC as required. The Principal Planner will assist in developing long-range transportation plans, programming federally funded transportation projects, ensuring continued compliance with Federal metropolitan transportation planning regulations, and performing other related duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree preferred in Transportation planning or Urban Planning with a concentration in Transportation Planning or Engineering;
- Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible professional transportation planning experience in the public sector and working knowledge of local/regional government operations; including at least three (3) years of MPO experience.
- Thorough knowledge of: Metropolitan Transportation Planning regulations, procedures, and processes; transportation systems planning procedures
- Working experience with Congestion Management Process and traffic impact analysis
- Knowledge of Travel Demand Modelling process
- Knowledge of Intelligent Transportation System
- Ability to devise work programs and to schedule research and analysis activities
- Ability to collect, compile and analyze diverse and complex data; and ability to amalgamate data into concise and clear analytical documents
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical documents
- Ability to establish effective and communicative working relationships with governmental officials, private agency heads, technical staff, citizens’ groups, and the public
- Ability to develop and present technical reports to all types of audiences in written and oral form
- Ability to distill complex concepts and relationships into clear, concise, and understandable terms
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to respond promptly to multiple competing demands
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of transportation planning developments, strategies, public policy, and legislation related to transportation planning
MPC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, M/F/H
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Email resume and cover letter including salary requirements to: Pamela Everett, Assistant Executive Director, Compliance & Operations, Chatham County-Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission with the following subject line: Transportation Planner.
Open until filled.