East Alabama Regional Planning & Development Commission
Regional Planner is a professional position and is responsible for managing a wide range of programs serving local governments in a (10) ten county region. The Regional Planner works on historic preservation projects for cities within East Alabama Regional Planning and Development Commission regions. The Regional Planner is responsible for working elements of the regional and local planning and development programs, preparing grant applications and grant management. Responsibilities also include development of comprehensive plans and programs for the use of land and physical facilities to design, promote, and/or administer government plans or policies affecting land use, zoning, public utilities, community facilities, housing, or transportation. The Regional Planner holds public meetings with government officials, developers, the public, or special interest groups to formulate, develop, or address issues regarding land use or community plans. The Regional Planner is responsible for conducting field investigations, surveys, impact studies, or other research to compile and analyze data on economic, social, regulatory, or physical factors affecting land use. The Regional Planner presents projects to communities, planning officials, and planning commissions. The Regional Planner stays current of zoning and building codes, environmental regulations, and other legal issues. The Regional Planner is required to exercise initiative and judgement in executing tasks. The supervisor reviews the Regional Planner’s work performance through periodic staff meetings, project status reports, and review of reports, plans, applications, or other documents the Regional Planner produces.
Integrity and Trust – Our staff members act with integrity by keeping confidences, being accountable, taking responsibility and not misrepresenting our roles. We are committed to building trust in our relationships and establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with staff, volunteers and the public.
Passion for the Mission – Our staff is focused on and dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers. Promote a positive image of East Alabama Regional Planning and Development Commission.
Teamwork – Each employee is a valuable member of the Commission’s team and contributes to the overall success of the agency. We collaborate and communicate openly and honestly to solve problems, respect each other, learn from one another, grow in our respective roles and contribute to strong morale throughout the organization. Together Each Achieves More!
Technical Skills – Our staff is committed to possessing the skills needed to best perform in his/her position. As needs and resources change, staff will seek and engage in learning opportunities to improve their skills and strengths. We are committed to continuous improvement.
Time management – Our staff uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities.
- Collects data and other information needed to prepare planning studies and reports.
- Prepares written analysis of data and other information gathered for planning studies and reports.
- Provides staff supports, studies, and other documents required by the Alabama Department of Transportation.
- Prepares and submits grant applications and manages some of the grants that are funded.
- Attends city council, county commission, and other public meetings to gather information or to present study results.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practice of urban and regional planning.
- Knowledge of historic preservation principles, architectural design principles, and the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
- Working knowledge of research methods and practices used in preparing planning studies.
- Proficient in the ability to apply professional planning principles and methods to assigned projects.
- Some knowledge of public administration with emphasis on municipal and county administration.
- Proficient in the ability to perform routine and advanced planning work, with some supervision.
- Working knowledge of project development.
- Working knowledge of planning document preparation.
- Working knowledge of the different categories of grant-in-aid programs and the management of those programs.
- Proficient in the ability to prepare and submit grant applications and to manage funded grants, with some supervision.
- Proficiency in using MS Office applications and other computer software related to the field.
- Some knowledge of cartography, geographic information systems, and the design work associated with mapping.
- Proficient in the ability to present ideas and technical material clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Proficient in the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, local officials and staff, and the public.
- Ability to drive an automobile, possession of a valid driver’s license, and ability to meet the criteria for authorization to drive Commission vehicles, as established by the Commission’s motor vehicle insurance carrier.
- Effective Communication: Written & Oral
- Relationship Management
- Continual Improvement
- Critical Thinking & Evaluation
- Ethical Practice
- Cultural Awareness
The East Alabama Regional Planning and Development Commission is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The Commission does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or provision of services.
- Master’s degree from a program in Urban and Regional Planning or Historic Preservation from an accredited University by the Planning Accreditation Board or NCPE – National Council for Preservation Education; or graduate degree in related field.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $47,032 Entry Level Pay
- Annual and Sick Leave Accrual / Inclement Weather Leave
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Core Work Hours: Monday-Friday ~ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Remote Work Available – Commission Vehicles
- Local Health Government Insurance (Health and Dental)
(Employer Paid – Single Coverage) (Mthly Reimbursement if Covered Under a Spousal Plan)
- VSP Vision
- Supplemental Dental & Vision – Southland
- Retirement System of Alabama / RSA-1 Voluntary Retirement Benefit Supplement
- Employee Paid Benefits: Life Insurance, Accidental Death, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
- Voluntary Benefit Programs Offered Through Aflac
- Longevity Promotion Plan – After 2 and 5 Years of Service and Every 3 Years Thereafter
- Annual Cost of Living Increase (Pending Recommendation of Executive Director and Executive Board Approval)
- Corporate Wellness Program – City of Anniston Parks and Recreation Aquatic & Fitness Center – Discounted Membership
- Employee Assistance Program
Reports To: Deputy Director
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Work Environment: Office Setting & Remote Work
How to Apply
Submit resume to HR Director.