Heart of Georgia Altamaha Regional Commission
The Heart of Georgia Altamaha Regional Commission is seeking to fill the position of Regional Planner in our Baxley Location. This position is responsible for assisting local governments in areas of comprehensive planning, hazard mitigation planning, solid waste planning, service delivery strategy, local laws and ordinances, environmental issues, transportation, and grant preparation and administration. This position requires a talented individual who can engage collaboratively with local governments in a professional, resourceful, trustworthy, accountable, efficient, and innovative manner.
The ideal candidate will have experience in local and regional planning, including Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) planning requirements, plan reviews, zoning best practices, public engagement best practices, GIS experience, and preparation of planning documents and supporting graphic design skills. They will also have knowledge of state and federal programs that support community development and planning efforts at the local and regional levels (DOT, DCA, DNR, EDA, etc). Educational or professional experience in planning, community development, and/or downtown development is a must. This position also requires an ability to write technical reports, perform research, assist with various forms of community engagement, and support the Planning Director in ensuring accomplishment of state and federal contract requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in planning, public administration,
landscape architecture, or similar area of study
- Demonstrated research and analytical experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to prepare and make public presentations in a variety of local government settings
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with competing deadlines
- Ability to independently manage projects
- Effective in working directly with elected officials, local government staff, and community stakeholders
- Master’s degree in City and/or Regional Planning, Public Administration or Policy, or related field
- Or at least 2 years of related work experience in community development and planning fields.
- Experience with ESRI and Adobe products and ability to create and edit GIS data, maps, and other graphics to support planning and community development efforts
- Educational or professional experience in comprehensive planning and plan reviews
- Experience performing research and preparing technical reports and long-range planning
- AICP certification
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range: $40,000-45,000
- Health/Vision/Dental Insurance
- Annual/Sick Leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Defined Benefit Compensation Plan
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan
- Training and professional development opportunities
How to Apply
To apply email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Anna Weaver.
Applications can also be mailed to: HOGARC, Attn: Anna Weaver, Planning Director, 331 West Parker Street, Baxley, GA 31513.
A review of resumes will begin on February 8, 2024 and will continue until the position is filled. No telephone inquiries accepted.