City of South Fulton
Description of Job / Position
This classification supervises and conducts the work of assigned staff in the planning division.
Duties and Responsibilities
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff; establishes workloads and prioritizes work assignments; develops and oversees employee work schedules to ensure adequate coverage and control; compiles and reviews timesheets; approves/processes employee concerns and problems and counsels or disciplines as appropriate; assists with or completes employee performance appraisals; directs work; acts as a liaison between employees and management; and trains staff in operations, policies, and procedures.
- Develops planning priorities and coordinates planning projects with City staff, members of the community, and consultants; evaluates programs and proposals for compliance and interprets policies established by the Mayor and Council: forecast needs; estimates costs and prepares budgets; and defines program objectives.
- Processes requests for rezoning, modification of zoning, use permits, and variance requests; interprets zoning laws, gathers background information regarding the submittal and analyzes application based on previous Board action in the area, the Comprehensive Land Use Plan Map and Plan policies; offers guidance and makes recommendations to applicants; gathers information to include in zoning/variance application write ups; prepares zoning agenda and tracks zoning items to ensure deadlines for public hearing, advertising, sign posting, and other requirements are met; analyzes requests and makes recommendations to the Board of Community Zoning Board, Council, and Board of Zoning Appeals for consideration; updates any action taken by the Boards during the process and writes up all final decisions; and posts actions on Department’s website.
- Reviews land disturbance permits, building permits, sign permits, and other plans for compliance with zoning and Overlay District regulations.
- Assists in development of zoning and planning policies, regulations and procedures for consideration and adoption by the Mayor and Council; analyzes and compiles text amendments to the City of South Fulton Zoning Resolution, Subdivision Regulations and other zoning regulations in order to remain current and applicable for the health and safety of the citizens of City of South Fulton.
- Provides customer service; answers questions from the public, coworkers and Staff from other Departments regarding zoning & planning issues; informs prospective buyers/sellers of applicable rules and regulations; provides advice on City regulations and standards; conducts pre-application meetings with rezoning & variance applicants; confers with community leaders to keep them informed of upcoming zoning issues; and briefs City administrators on current zoning/modification/variance requests; Administers contracts and grants and develops proposals and seeks funding sources.
- Represents City at public hearing and meetings; conducts public meetings to aid in resolution of planning issues among parties with divergent interests, to disseminate information regarding future planning regulations, or to gather information and input from the public; represents City at public hearings regarding zoning matters; acts as City liaison between City of South Fulton and the Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC)/ Georgia Regional Transportation Authority (GRTA) for Development of Regional Impact (DRI) projects; and serves on committees when they propose a revision to their regulations.
- Maintains a current, comprehensive knowledge and awareness of applicable laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to zoning and planning; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; and attends meetings, workshops, hearings, and training sessions as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, architecture or a related field (Master’s degree preferred); supplemented by five (5) years of experience as a professional planner, including experience in program administration and lead or supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Salary & Benefits
Min $56,413; Mid $69,952; Max $87,440
The City of South Fulton is committed to creating a positive and inspiring place to work in service to our citizens; the City offers the following employee benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Vendor Sponsored Wellness Programs, Optional Supplemental Benefits, Defined Contribution (401a) Plan, optional 457b Plan, Paid vacation and sick leave, 14 paid holidays
How to Apply